Racial dislikes

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

dyaros

Racial dislikes

Post by dyaros »

I was just thinking some (new) uses for reputation - racial dislikes. Some races are not liked (or even hated) in few known places, due to some historic/cultural reasons for exsample. This would give pernanent bad reputation (guards order to remove weapons etc.) for specific races. Here are few exsamples:

Dark elves, chitines, cancuns and derro have permanent bad reputation in kingdom of Valkor, city of Vaerlon and independent city-state of Atherton.

Dwarves, elves (other than dark), leprechauns and gnomes have permanent bad reputation in kingdom of Graemor and city of Graemor.
xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Post by xerene »

There are allready a few places where elves are attacked on sight by humans.
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

No, i mean "racial dislikes". They rarely attack, but more like disarm you, try to make your life harder in every possible way and talk suspiciously about you.... etc.

Here are the thing that racial dislikes/racism could do:

Guards disarm (old thingie)
Guards eye (old thingie)
Guards attack (old thingie, last resort!)
Guards push you away from his path (new thingie!)
Guards spit upon you (new thingie!)
Guards block your way randomly (new thingie!)

Shopkeepers don't sell/buy (old thingie)
Shopkeepers eye (old thingie)
Shopkeepers throw out of shop (new thingie!)
solar
Supporting Member 2020

r0k

Post by solar »

I like those new thingies... but should they only be included to 'racial dislikes' or also to 'bad reputation'?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I don't like the idea of having certain races just get hit with a default guard reaction. I think the aforementioned area that attacks elves on sight is a good example of an implementation that is too simplisitic for city/village areas. It would be more interesting if reputation still played a role in determining the guard response. Here's an example:

Let's say dark elves are hated in Vaerlon.

Gnome player A needs a neutral reputation to enter the city.
Dark elf player B, however, needs to be well-known and respected before the guards will allow him entry.

In this case, different thresholds for races can be set up so that they would still be allowed to do certain things by guards, but how much they gain from reputation is more restricted than someone else would be.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Felgand's example is not newbie friendly. Newbies start with 0 reputation... and let's say someone creates a dark elf character. If he/she were to leave the city, there'd be no way to come back with that starting reputation.

Of course, newbies - who pose no threat -, could be let inside regardless of their race and the reputation they'd need.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
dunn

Post by dunn »

The same thing could be achieved by scaling the reputation gained in certain cities by opposingly aligned races to something more minimal.. So that newbies won't be affected right away.

Though already it's pretty hard to upkeep a high reputation for anyone other than a templar with high honour, so this suggestion might just be a spike in the wheel idea all together.