More "complex" camping?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

While I am slightly biased (since I don't know Mandarin), I'd have to question that particular site. Most of the sites that I viewed that had any sort of statistical data were last updated in 2000-2001 and most of those were saying that English was quickly catching up. Seeing as I wasn't able to find any current information, I'd say that you could probably go either way. I'd also point out that the US has 300 million people and the UK has 60 million people. This would seem to back my theory that the statistics on the soyouwanna.com site (listing English as being spoken by 508 Million) are old. However, if we are speaking of the most spoken *native* language, then Mandarin more than likely wins hands down.

I'd also like to throw out this brain teaser that was brought out on one of the sites. The most *spoken* language in the world probably changes back and forth between Manderin and English every 24 hours. When China is sleeping, then the most *spoken* language would be English.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

the difference is between the most-spoken and most widly spoken language.

most-spoken language is definitly mandarin but the most widly spoken language is english for the reason that it is teached in most countries as the second language in school. (for a good reason)
suron

Post by suron »

Ok, this is not the right place for this discussion, but anyways...

Well, my information was based on news I heard just about 1-2 years ago. It was based on the fact that even if 'mandarin' has the most speakers in the world it is not entirely accurate:

Mandarin, as a language, consists of 4-5 tones + many local dialects, all different from another. It is said that if two asian people who speaks mandarin, but are from different parts of the country, may not be able to understand each other at all. Even so different that they could be considered entirely own langages. (ie. finnish and estonian)
All mandarin dialects however do have same written form, which makes the mandarin worlds has-worlds-most-native-writers-language. Although most of world written literature is in english.

So as far as I'm concerned mandarin is not worlds most spoken language any more than slavic or germanic. Everyone has the right for their own opinions, atleast outside of china.

(And no, american english and british english are not so different that you cannot understand each other, not even australian english is that different. They are still the same language. Differences between mandarin dialects are much bigger.)
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Clarification

Post by solar »

There are more people in the world that know english than those who know mandarin chinese.

So, english is the number one language, even though it doesn't have the most native speakers in the world.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

Post by arkady »

Darn This is some Complicated Camping...

Much Love!

Icesus In Mandarin!
apex

Post by apex »

I say we shove it all up the pooper and just speak latin! Dead language my ass!

fuck the Phoenicians!
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Hey whats wrong with australian english, it makes more sense than the yanks and the poms combined.

Hehe I love to stir the pot. :twisted:

And with mandarin etc. I think you have yourself a bit confused with the chinese being able to understand each other, the two major different languages/dilects is mandarin and cantonese, (I think thats how you spell it) these are like different languages. However if you speak mandarin you will be able to understand basically anyone else who speaks it just like the english language. There is a slight difference in characters (writing) as well as there are simplified and traditional characters, the simplified are mainly used these days amongst mandarin speakers.
suron

Post by suron »

Actually, I spent hours surfing the net researching info about the mandarin language and those things came up frequently.
Mandarin means 'common language' and consists of several dialects not even similar with each other. I admit that I could be slightly wrong in some part of this, but as a whole, this is what they claim.

"A man, born and raised in the southern parts of china speaking his local dialect of mandarin chinese is able to communicate with his northern counterpart only with sign-language. The language is so different."

It would be nice if with high camping % you could find water and fill your waterskin/flasks. This could be done either separately from camp building with "use camping to find water" command or with "set_watercontainer flask 1" which would be refilled automatically with camping success.
aieon
Supporting Member 2006

Post by aieon »

Got a bit out of hand, eh?
well, my tuppence for the ... thingie.
The co-camping might either have a bad, or a good effect on the result. If all the people try to lead the camp-building, it's all a fuss and takes a long time, I've experienced this in the army, while I was at the... well, petty officer course, or something like that. everyone wanted to lead the camping, and usually ended up shouting at each other.

now, this could be another new thing for the militia. with a militia party leader, his charisma and camping skill would increase the effect and speed of camping. (humans doing a better job, of course)