More "complex" camping?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

dyaros

More "complex" camping?

Post by dyaros »

I would like to see more uses for camping skill. Not in a special way, just more camp types and maybe following:

* Building own cottage (uses also craftmanship)

Player can build one cottage (if creates another, old one dissolves etc), which it can use for storaging equipment etc. etc. He can then choise who can enter it and so on. The cottage would be lost in reset though...
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

Yes, i know. It would still be a nice addition to the camping skill use, only if it ment to be in the "surface". Note also that not all players have afford for appartment, cheap way to keep stuff for day or two in RL.
felgand

Post by felgand »

What would be the advantage of this over digging a hole and dumping your stuff in there?
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

As i said, nothing. It is purely cosmetic :) Just another fun idea to improve Icesus.
dunn

Post by dunn »

felgand wrote:What would be the advantage of this over digging a hole and dumping your stuff in there?
Not having people out-dig your holes. Basically, a door and key for that really valuable crap. :D
felgand

Post by felgand »

Yeah, instead they'd just do a camp break. :D
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

more complex camping? good idea. Heres some stuff you might want to add to current camping

* co-operatopn : to be able to build camp with more than 1 people. - would be faster, but would loose some of its quality.
* Creater fire : building of a mighty blaze- would take a lot more than building a normal campfire (wich by description is 'small') but would have a far more greater effect in the room with the blaze and would have minor effect on the neighboring rooms. exampl - the light level in neighboring roms would rise, regen would recieve a bonus...
* A shelter for mounts - build a pole to wich you can fasten your mount, and instead of gathering dry firewood, you would gather piles of hay for the mounts. Almost like a normal camp, but with a greater food supply for mounts and a greater regen bonus to mounts than humans.
* A coocikng fire: its better to cook food over glowing ashes than a mighty blaze. High flame migh give good light and good regen, but it would only burn the meat, leaving it raw from the inside. Make a special fire, that would aid in cooking but lack in ligh and regen bonuses.
* Smoky pile : build a fire, and add a pile of branshes on it, almost smuthering the fire, causeing it to spew a lot of thick smoke. this would make the room even darker, the pillar of smoke could be seen from afar as a signal and shadow-skills such as hiding would recieve slight bonuses. (its not that hard to hide in a room full of thick smoke - ever been to a traditional finnish sauna?)
* Signal fire : adding some special herbs into the fire makes it burn brightly and with different colors. Fisible to a great distance, especially if built to high ground.
suron

c-c-camping

Post by suron »

Could someone translate that Artics post to english?
rotax

Post by rotax »

artic wrote:you would gather piles of hay for the mounts.
Hay isn't exactly an abundant resource in the wild.
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

Well, not hay - more like grass. There is grass growing everywhere in nature. Grass/Hay can also be replaced with moss (soft AND can be eaten by animals, dregs are excellent example for this)

Oh, and for Suron: That's english allright, if you cannot read because of few misspellings and typos - then it is you who cannot speak english ;)
dunn

Post by dunn »

Co-operation should yield better camp quality, not lessen it.

I like the ideas, they sound like something to play with while regenning, except the Smoky Pile.. That doesn't sound like it would be logical in its use, except to maybe simmer a forest fire so you have ample time to get away.

It's not hard to hide in a pile of black smoke, but who would approach it?

Signal fire - that might be useful for rangers, but I'm not sure Icesus can implement this within the outworld, except if it worked like a report orienteering after terrain desc. It would increase computation though.

Cooking, now Icesus is not big on this thing. It would be fun if it actually had a use.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I think only the cooperation and maybe (big maybe) a signal flare would be useful. The other ideas are either already in the game (and available to air priests), don't make sense (wouldn't smoke cause the shadowdancer/archer to choke and thus not be useful for hiding?), or not really a solution to any problem and don't add much value (cooking fires).
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Well the ideas are out there now... I personally like most the co-operation, mount-camp, and signal fire.

When i sayd hay, i did mean mount-food in general.
And yes, better cooking fire at this point makes no difference. The meat is just the same if cooked with 100% skill than it is with cooking it at 0% skill, wich is utterly wierd. why we have a skill for cooking if it affects nothing. But if someone would come up with a better cooking system, this sort of fire would have a great value.
suron

Post by suron »

A _few_ misspellings and typos?

Only parts of that post that doesn't have any typos are probably the lines that Artic copy&pasted directly from the mud or some other source. I'm pretty confident that if given the chance, he can actually type decent text, but I'd like to see more persons actually proofreading their own posts and correcting atleast most obvious of their typos. It is easier to take those posts seriously if they are even somewhat decently composed.

Not only does that improve that persons own typing skills, it also helps you in the long run. As a language, english, has never been more important to the people of the world as it is now. English surpassed chinese as the most spoken language in the world a few years ago and even in non-english-speaking-countries, english has a firm foothold in the business world, so do yourselves a favor and master it.

(This ranting was produced to you by Suron and you do not have to take it seriously in any way.)