New Weapons

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

New Weapons

Post by osma »

This is a fairly simple idea. Is it just me, or are there tons of swords and axes, but not that many diffrent types of other weapons, like say spears. Two-handed, sabers, scimitars, gladius, ect. Or, you can use ... a spear. Seems kinda unbalanced.

Spears:
Harpoon: slightly smaller, lighter spear. Faster, slightly less damage. Bonus damage to throwing. Can be used for fishing (at least high level fishers that go for the big daddys). Good to hunt with.

Trident: Three pronged heavy spear. Heavy and slower. Deals more damage (3 points to pierce with)

Axes/polearms
Halbard: Axe with a long spear handle. Light, normal damage compared to basic axe, Two-handed. Somewhat fast, slashing. Somewhat better for parrying.

Other
Pick axe: depending on small (one handed) or large (two-handed digging tool). two-handed obviously heavy and hurts a ton, hand-axe smaller and fast. Underground races like dwarves and gnomes would be better with them (like centaurs with spears). Possibly be able to learn up your skill in the geologist guild or something.

Spikes: add to boots, gloves, or shields to do more damage/ change to piercing damage.

Stilletto dagger: Long and thin. Much easier to hit with, less damage.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

polearms: extra damage to mounted enemies, much easier to parry against short weapons, same might go for spears.
there alreay are a lot of different types of axes, but more probably wouldn't hurt, and you could possibly get the massive ones that might act more like polearms.
a stiletto would negate much of the medium armours, and would be next to useless against heavy, easy to damage, can't parry with it, unless you are using another stronger weapons in the other hand.
a trident shout have a possibility of causing 3x the damage, but about 1/3 of the hits, as you might not hit with all the points, you might only hit with one, or two. also, it might be easier to parry a trident.
a harpoon would be really nice, i think that if you were going to use it for fishing, you would need to be in a boat, and have a rope to bring back the harpoon and whatever it has hit.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Just looking over these ideas, it seems like they are generally designed to be really outstanding compared to their similar countarparts. Therefore they should be rarer, and more valuable, if added to standard weapon types. Else they should just be unique eqs found in only a few places.

Mostly criticisms:

Harpoons: Well, all spears already get a bonus for throwing, if I'm not mistaken. Additionally, why couldn't you juse use a normal spear to fish with?...
Oh, and throwing a harpoon into the lake while aiming at a fish (hence the need for a retreval rope) seems like it would mostly rely on your throwing, not fishing, skills.
Also might want to bear in mind that the chance of hitting a fish in water, period, is rather difficult due to water distortion and fish's reaction time, as well as the water resistance upon the projectile. Maybe it could be done with a crossbow or such, and on fishes closer to the surface, but a man-power propelled spear...iffy.

Trident: Three times the damage with one-third the hit chance? It might seem logical at first glance, but that's pretty unbalanced. Just make it a standard spear that's longer and deals out bit more damage, with that -accuracy of course, and you're set to go.

Halbard: It sounds just like a sword (as compared to "basic axe"), except that it's an axe. What's the addition being made here?

Pick axe: Well, we already have picks. And hand axes. If they are classified as "digging tools", they should deal less damage than your standard weapon. Why? For the same reason that shovels don't make good bludgeoning weapons.

Spikes: Could be added to boots and factored into "Kick" damage. Probably can't be added to gloves, because wearing gloves doesn't increase your unarmed fighting damage (if I remember correctly). Spiked shield sounds more like a rare eq, not a standard one. Unless you're talking about "adding" them from smith or such, in which case I say, why not be able to add spikes to other weapons, like clubs and such?

Stiletto: Daggers and knives are already pretty easy to use and accurate weapons. And they don't deal out much damage (as compared to their bigger cousins) either. If you want a longer piercing sword, get a rapier.
Additionally, it's a huge +damage to completely negate armours, and why should this weapon get such a bonus? (as compared to other piercing weapons)

Polearms: Not to be overly critical, but extra damage to mounted enemies is rather limited bonus, since there aren't a lot of riding NPC's in game aside from Atherton mounted fire priests and, ah, the coachman. Maybe you could include centaurs? :twisted:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

I find myself less critical compared to Allanon, so i'll give ago. Here are some of my point of views:

Halbard: Erhm, it's accually halberd to my knowledge (although i might be wrong here). Here we have a weapon which i have been hoping to appear in Icesus years ago. This is extremely good weapon of choise for guards etc, who need spear, but also somekind of cleaving tool. In the middle-age europe, most kingdom kings/lords had their guards equipped with halberds during guard duties (rather than with sword and shield).

Hmmm... to my knowledge, pick axe has small cleaving blade AND a large spike at the other side. This would make this weapon very interesting in Icesus (maybe a "flip" command to turn it from piercing to slashing weapon etc?)

It would be nice to see "more spears", such as heavy spear (very long, used only with two hands, impossible to throw).

About the harpoon, accually this would bring a new view to fishing (along with net and rod fishing). I can imagine myself looking in a small stream, keeping my harpoon high and readying for the first good fish slipping past me.

The harpoon might be a little too much, propably good idea for a unique weapon etc. Stiletto is very young weapon, and doesn't suit to medieval styled Icesus.
I'm an Africa nut, not an Ostfront freak
tenki
Supporting Member 2018

Post by tenki »

dyaros wrote: It would be nice to see "more spears", such as heavy spear (very long, used only with two hands, impossible to throw).
A lance?
dyaros wrote: Stiletto is very young weapon, and doesn't suit to medieval styled Icesus.
Stiletto isn't actually that young..even if in the streets a switchblade is known as a stiletto. Actual stiletto is a very slim bladed dagger intended for thrusting only.

An example of a stiletto:

Edit: Oops, forgot to add this link http://members.aol.com/dargolyt/TheForge/stiletto.htm
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

Thanks for correcting me. Anyways, the stiletto is a kinda cross-breed between knife and dagger, so there isn't really any good use (except for some robber gang maybe?) for it.

About the spears, i was really talking about heavy spear (used by infantry, quite similiar to lance, but with TWO hands). As you mention it, to my knowledge there isn't lance weapon type in game, although riding has been supported for a while now.

Before anyone critices me, there is a great difference between a lance and spear. Spear is basickly a long stick, while a lance is usually well crafted, offering protection to the users arm and solely used to deliver the first blow in horseback (what ever animal accually...). Lance is also much longer than ordinary spear and from this reason - heavier.
I'm an Africa nut, not an Ostfront freak
tenki
Supporting Member 2018

Post by tenki »

dyaros wrote:Before anyone critices me, there is a great difference between a lance and spear. Spear is basickly a long stick, while a lance is usually well crafted, offering protection to the users arm and solely used to deliver the first blow in horseback (what ever animal accually...). Lance is also much longer than ordinary spear and from this reason - heavier.
Notice the subtle difference between a footman's lance and a lance used while in horseback. Former is just a 'heavy spear', in other words, a long and heavy pointed stick. I probably should have mentioned the keyword footman's earlier..

Edit again: Now that I actually thought about it, you seem to be confusing jousting lances to lances in general. While lances used in tournaments were just like you described them, the lances actually used in combat, on foot and horseback, were simply large spears. And more generally, any medieval european (or like) spear that isn't supposed to be thrown can be described as a lance.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

the stiletto and rapier were weapons designed to go into the small holes in chainmail, and so kill quickly a person in chain. perhaps what should be done is give it a chance to not hit any armor, if the target is wearing chainmail, and go through a hole in the armor to hit the target with a major critical hit.
rotax

Post by rotax »

It would probably just make things horribly unbalanced, but wouldnt a stiletto be a much better weapon for shadowdancers? Longer blade = deeper wound = more damage. Seems like that should be the case, but again, I think it would just bump the power of dancers, throwing off the game's balance.
suron

Post by suron »

What balance? :)
breg
Supporting Member 2008

Post by breg »

The power of shadowdancers?? :wink:
tenki
Supporting Member 2018

Post by tenki »

rotax wrote:It would probably just make things horribly unbalanced, but wouldnt a stiletto be a much better weapon for shadowdancers? Longer blade = deeper wound = more damage. Seems like that should be the case, but again, I think it would just bump the power of dancers, throwing off the game's balance.
Like rapiers, maybe? They would have even longer blade than a stiletto. Oh, wait, they are already in the game.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I had an idea regarding weapons, I noticed that there are VERY few, if any, small slashing weapons, and since some of the very small races would be very good rangers, if they just had weapons they could hold, I give my ideas:

Straight-edge razor: I know you can get one of these from barber background, but I think it counts as a knife, and not very high quality, either. I say we make these available to the general public, after all everyone needs to shave somewhere, right? They would probably be small enough that even the smallest race really suitable for rangership, the mold man, could wield 2 with ease.

Hatchet: Perhaps cut down a bit, would make a very nice two-handed battle axe for said mold man, and a good hand axe for anything up to the halfling.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

why do we need new weapon types, when we already have shitloads of weapon types that arent used at all...

cutlass, gladius, longsword, scimitar, broad axe, bearded axe, balestarius, hand axe, head axe, hammer, warhammer, club, dabus, mace, pernat, ball'n'chain, morningstar, knife, shortsword, pitch fork, scourge, whip, etcetc for example are not used almost at all, and they are in game, we definetly do not need weapon types, we need old ones to be tuned that they are worth using... maybe after that, we could use some more.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

----I---------------------------

Post by solar »

Aye, aye.

L0ngsw0rdz are teh suxor fuxor and need serious uptunelol.

No one really prefers those, except for a few PROTECTOR BLADES and some newbie/midbie 'shite' which does not count.

---------

We could use a hammer-type weapon bigger than 1,1m and an additional slashing sword which falls in between 1.9m and 1.2m.

Oh and uptune quarterstaves (for offensive purposes) if/when you start tuning.

Rusakko kuittaa.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.