Fairy

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Fairy

Post by osma »

Yes, yet another race idea. Whenever i use numbers for stats, assume a 1-10 scale where 5 is humans (adverage).

Fairy- These small humanoids are rarely seen creatures from the deep forest. Quite small and quick, their most notable feature is their wings, which resemble dragonfly wings. The tend to be magic users due to their small size and magical nature, but their warrior caste is usualy rangers.

Str - 4, con - 2, dex - 9, wis - 5, int - 7, chr - 6. Daylight - 4, Darklight - 6, exp - 6(7?), hpregen - 4, epregen - 8, spregen - 7. Reputation slightly mechievious.

(cost in adv points:) Str - 4, con - 7, dex - 2, wis -4, int - 3, chr - 4. (notice that if you assume an average of 4 adv each stat, then this char. is average. 7(+3), 2(-2), 3(-1).)

Race abilities:
Fly - acts much like a beholder. Is not affected by deep water, dosnt need to swim. Terrain affects eploss less.

Exceptional Mobility - Most creatures dodge in battle in 2 dimentions; either forward/back or right/left. jumping and ducking has very limited ability since you can only jump or duck so far. Since fairies would be somewhere in the very small catagory (2-6 inches), AND they can fly, they would be able to dodge MUCH easier in the up and down 3rd dimention.

This could be used in three ways: 1) a supplemental bonus: either something like +20 bg bonus to dodge, or +5 bg bonus to all dodge-like skills.
2) a seprate skill like ability that grows based on dex and level (In battle) "Your mobility makes the bite totaly miss."
3)a "mastery" type ability. It would work randomly like wilderness tactics for a ranger, but as it gets used, it becomes more and more likely to happen later, and when it goes off, you dodge one attack and counterattack.

Slots - Would have all the same slots as most humoniods, but also wing slots. (2 or 4). However, who ever heard of a dragonfly with full plate wing armor. It would probably be either unprotected (and easy to hit) or would only be protected by light armor.

I think i covered everything, if you have questions, feel free to post. :) It will only make my post look more popular :P
allanon

Post by allanon »

Ehm, not to burst your bubble, but with your super-sized fairy coming it at about half a foot...Well, that would be like making a leprechaun ranger. Which is a dumb choice, since they aren't strong/big enough to wield decent swords for whirling blades. And their limited strength makes them iffy as a choice for an archer. Unless you wanted to use a crossbow...In any case, afaik, it's never been attempted and probably won't be. So fairies are probably restricted to magic guilds.
Besides, with "2" con a spell-weaver probably gets more hpmax then they do. It's great and all if you can dodge all the attacks, but a single spell would probably kill you.

To date there are almost...well, no, make that no jumping or ducking in combat, for evasive purposes. Just a little nitpick.

Beholders float because they're using their psionic powers. Fairies would fly by using endurance points. Because they're also tiny, travelling the same distance as a larger race would take more effort. So, shouldn't that neutralize the flying bonus? (except for water, of course)

Wing slots should remain unprotected. Wouldn't wearing anything on them make them unsuitable for flight?

Lastly, if I'm not mistaken the race-idea of fairies was already put down by wizards. In other words: never going to see the light of day.
But, I could be wrong, or maybe someone up there will change their mind after reading this reincarnation of old idea, you never know.

If you want to know what I personally think of the idea...Fairies is a bit of a cliche'd race, don't you think? And we already have spell weavers/mold men/leprechauns for "tiny magic users" classes. So fairies really don't lend much more uniqueness to the game.

On the other hand, "Why not"? Adding new race wouldn't hurt anyone.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.