"Classed" hunting/fishing contests

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

kanje

Post by kanje »

Reading from a few posts above, it sounds like people are allowed help when participating in hunting/events.

I agree that this should be changed somewhat.

Maybe make the rules such that kills are to be individual, and no one is allowed to help participants or face the wrath of the immortals, make them do guard duty at graemor gates with the kobolds.

No help means no healing, no binding of wounds, no magical aids, no external help. Events like that should will be fairer when solo.

If you want to kill that gigantic behemoth that weighs 2 tons, you take the risks of dying.

There's a huge difference between a party of 3 level 80s, and a party of 3 level 30s.

Then maybe alternate events can be party-based. This will encourage more people to team up, make friends, speak more english as well.
I wrote up the above, then realised a mighty flaw in my arguments.

It's not fair even when it's solo events/party events. The level 60-100 are still going to win it, unless it's fishing.

A few seconds later, I figured I'm with iluth and croli on this. Iluth made a compelling point with the mammoth example.

editted to add: The classing way seems flawed somewhat, as pointed out by someone in the early posts,.Suggestion : If there's only one person in his only division, maybe he should win only gold for his efforts.
alajrak

Post by alajrak »

How about classing event by size of the prey, not by levels competitors?
Say small,medium and large?
Of course the bigger class means the bigger prize :wink:
iluth

Post by iluth »

alajrak wrote:How about classing event by size of the prey, not by levels competitors?
Say small,medium and large?
Of course the bigger class means the bigger prize :wink:
I think the point of the event is that the best hunter should win the best prize.
kanje

Post by kanje »

There was a recent hunting event, where a few highbies were in as well.

One of the wizards did say that it soon became a race of bagging mammoths. What chance does others have then?

Unless we all become uber tanks and have a air priest behind us.
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

kanje wrote:There was a recent hunting event, where a few highbies were in as well.

One of the wizards did say that it soon became a race of bagging mammoths. What chance does others have then?

Unless we all become uber tanks and have a air priest behind us.
Unless I'm totally off, it has always been a race to see who can bag the most mammoths.
minny

Post by minny »

why not just ban mammoths from hunting events?
kanje

Post by kanje »

minny wrote:why not just ban mammoths from hunting events?
Then they will just hunt the next biggest one, whatever it is.

The system which allows highbies and lowbies to participate in the same hunting event is flawed, it's basically the same in most of the events like the one where they need someone rescued from something dangerous or something retrieved from something dangerous. Though the lowbies may stand a chance, but it's a safe bet that the higher leveled ones are going to get it.

It doesn't mean anything though, spend enough time on the mud, anyone can become a high leveled. So it's just a matter of when it's your time.
apex

Post by apex »

What is the point of working hard to become high leveled if doing so puts you on the same playing field as low leveled players? The higbies have invested a lot of time into getting that way- thier skill should reflect their time spent on their characters, as it does. If you're a n00b and you want to be good, go exp for a year and then come back and win contests. Oh yeah, and then ask Thakkrad for his trigger set;), and you'll be set.
iluth

Post by iluth »

edit: GNNN
Last edited by iluth on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Unless I'm totally off, it has always been a race to see who can bag the most mammoths.
There have been a lot of previous hunt events which have been won by a whisker at a pretty low weight of maybe 4000kg. The mammoth thing wasn't always a sure fire way of winning since they used to be much much rarer.

With the new hunting, getting mammoths is very easy which isn't neccessarily a bad thing in itself (there should be some high level party hunting terrain) but it makes the hunt event very easy to win if you have some high level friends.

With the older events people had a reason to keep hunting because they really thought they had a chance of winning, once the second mammoth is RIP the event is basically over and the excitement of it is gone. I think Solar said earlier that any kind of discouraging people from winning the event is wrong, i agree very much and think that mobbing mammoths is pretty discouraging to everybody else.
ayumi

Post by ayumi »

Not everyone has an equal chance to win every single event. Alright? Chances are that the person you are whining about has earned winning some event, sometimes not but *shrugs*.

Why should someone who has played for years and years have it equal with a newbie? Don't like it? Then work for the top, like everyone else more or less has. Maybe someday you'll be good enough to win an event, too. You want equal opportunities with absolutely everyone? Tell me why you deserve them?

If any newbies really really really want to win the hunt event even just once before they die of impatience, they could always become wizards and fabricate their own super character to win. Hahaha. ;)
midrien

Post by midrien »

I noticed an entry in the last newspaper about mammoths going extinct. Something like only 40 of them being left in the world, and an editors note after that. About 22 were killed after the article was first written.

You're going to be damn sure the mammoths are going to be a lot more rare now, if not extinct in the near future.
beral

Post by beral »

Personaly I think that hunting event sucks.

I had hunting 155-165%, I hunt stuff, kill stuff, get few mooses etc. Then I get something like brown bear and next thing I know I am on nether (if I attack it).

So newbies and other people get really discouraged to eaven try hunting events, example lyth goes and soloes 3-5x the amount I can do with my archer in a run.

so why would I participate in the hunting ? it sucks to be second last every time.

so I think that ether dividing people to classes, or making diffrent divisions (example you can choose to join small league, og average league, etc.) to the copetion would be good. Like from the lowest division you get something like 50k exp, average 100k etc.

Fishing event is good, I think that everyone has the same chance to win that one.. to win you need just to fish sometimes outside the events too, and get some fishing %
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

divideing up the events into classes is a great idea. giving lowbies, midbies and highbies each their own niche would not only finally give the lower lvl players a chance to enjoy the events but would also make it so the highbies actually have a good challenge and can enjoy the events more. and highbies won't have to worry about being "equal" to "noobs" as only highbies will be able to get into the highbie division.

EDIT-yes I know I can't spell
"Are you just now realizing that I'm a figment of your imagination?"
dunn

Post by dunn »

I think that's a good idea - if anything, gives lowbies their own event space while keeping the highbies busy with their own stuff. Like the rat warehouse event.

You can't really have a midbie division since at that level, the lines start to get blurred on player ability anyway. Depends on your focus once you have enough exp vs someone who has a much larger amount of exp spent in several areas.

Not that people reinc to hunters nowadays, but..