Psionic Constructs

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Psionic Constructs

Post by klarh »

Hello everyone!

How would it be if infectis got a 'create construct' spell? You could spend a nice little bit of psp(a good bit more than a probe-sized amount) to create a construct, which could do several things(damage, regen, light, darkness) depending on how you made it. Each tick would cost some psp(maybe probe-sized psp there) or reduce your pspregen. Maybe there could be an entire subguild entirely to constructs and the related skills/spells if you had different skills for different types of constructs and whatnot. If you ran out of psp and still had a construct there, it could either disappear(boring) or become a rogue construct(fun!!!), which attacks everything in sight before disappearing. Fumbles could also make a rogue construct.

Some psionic subguilds(Not lots of levels' worth, mind you) would be very nice and make infectis even more fun!
felgand

Post by felgand »

This doesn't really fit into the theme of the psionicist guild currently. The guild itself is based around affected the mind of your opponent...not the creation/invocation of physical objects.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

felgand wrote:This doesn't really fit into the theme of the psionicist guild currently. The guild itself is based around affected the mind of your opponent...not the creation/invocation of physical objects.
well i dont think thats exactly correct

the psi spells are divided into mind spells (psychic spells) and telekinetic spells which are definitly spells to interact with objects

klarh has a point there
i am not that familiar about how important the telekinetik spells get at higher lvls but right now at lvl 48 i dont use them at all ...
ergo ... i get no masteries in telekinetic and i didnt skill any of my telekinetic spells (except telekinetic shockwave to spam with alerts :D) , and there are quite a few

in my opinion the psychic branch of the psis gets used hundret times more than the telekinetic branch (thats my expierience).

the object thingy seems to be not right fore icesus BUT there are mobs like golems which could be build together and moved by the single force of a psis mind

and even if a lot say that earth priest should be the only ones with minions i have to ask why?

ep need a minion to survive in combat
a psi minion could be made the other way round just a small dmg maker that could take a few hits .. perhaps would take as much psp as they do dmg or take psp as they take hits.

does that make any sense? :D
suron

Post by suron »

Yeah, scrap the idea of astral constructs and use somekind of marionettes. Small wooden or metallic puppet which does the psionists bidding.

You could either craft them yourself or buy them from a shop. They would be pretty weak but the psion would be able to imbue them to unleash one psionic power upon their destruction, targetting the enemy which destroyed it.

So putting some cost, time and effort to make one would compensate for the "extra" power they would have in combat.

The puppet could have other uses as well, extra carrying capacity not unlike floating disk etc.
apex

Post by apex »

This is sounding very unlike psionicists to me.. and I don't think it really fits with psionicists theme either- remember, in order to useo ne ofthese constructs, or marionettes, the psionicist would have to be actively using his telekinetic power..i.e. NOT doing anything else.. so it would kind of be pointless, no? just like the psionicist probably wouldn't be able to use the marionette for extra storage space(like floating disc) because of the constant concentration it would take just to keep thing thing going along. The whole idea sounds like you're expecting ot just evoke foo at marionette, and then the marionette takes on a life of it's own all of a sudden- that's NOT psionicistic. psionicists can control objects with their minds- not bring them to life.

If this is ever implemented, for whatever strange reason, care should be taken to make psionicists unable to have/control one of these constructs, and do ANYTHING else at the same time. (it would be like a mage casting two spells at once)
suron

Post by suron »

no no, all psionists have multiple personality disorders so concentrating would not be a problem.
zoedus

Post by zoedus »

Maybe the psi can create a construct by letting one of his other personalities take physical form.

That way there is no question of how does he control it, BUT the power in the construct is no longer available to the psi. So every level of int the construct has deducts a level of int from the psi as long as it is around. Same for the other stats. High-level skills/masteries could be used to mitigate this cost, but never 100%.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

i dont understand whats the problem of the concept.

psis can use telekinesis.
that means moving objects with the force of their will.
ok that is a very rough summary but still thats the idea as far as i understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telekinesis :D

so why should a psi not be able to control a marionette do do his bidding?
could be just a matter of masteries.
apex

Post by apex »

psis can use telekinesis yes, but you're talking about using a marionette as a minion, in which case the psi would supposedly be controlling the marionette, and casting spells at the same time. This is like casting two spells at once, and, as far as i've seen, doesn't fit in icesus/isn't practical. Even walking around while constantly controlling a marionette w/ ones mind is impractical. And then, as far as I know, psionicists are lunatics striking out at other's minds and bodies out of sheer lunacy- not brilliant masterminds that sit around figuring out how t best use their surrounding to defeat their enemy.

Lastly, don't wish for marionettes too much, if you get them, you guys will more likely than not be downtuned^2.
suron

Post by suron »

Psionists don't 'cast' spells, they manifest psionic powers. An adept psionist should have no trouble imbuing a lifeless vessel with quasi-intelligence and give it self-awareness and the power to move, this would not require constant concentration from the psionist. This would be an _excellent_ time to introduce experience cost to the game, each puppet made would cost the creator some experience, 10k-100k depending of puppet type for example.

Game technically we should, however, restrict the use of marionettes to just one at the time to prevent insane psionists from forming puppet armies to take over the world.

Possible puppets could be psp-storages, porters, cannon fodder or suicide bombers (ok, thats not going to be implemented...ever) even scouts, psionist could see through the puppets eyes and remote control it wander around.
apex

Post by apex »

suron wrote:Psionists don't 'cast' spells, they manifest psionic powers. An adept psionist should have no trouble imbuing a lifeless vessel with quasi-intelligence and give it self-awareness and the power to move
Ok, did i miss hte part where psionicist became gods that can dish out life and intelligence to things? Psionicists aren't shamen that can bring things to life. they control MINDS (Which inanimate objects don't have) and they use telekinesis (moving inanimate objects, not 'imbuing' them with life.)
suron wrote:even scouts, psionist could see through the puppets eyes and remote control it wander around.
and how is a psionicist supposed to 'control' this puppet from the other side of the world, and why would you assume a puppet had eyes?

It's my understanding that psionicists use psychic powers- so i don't see why they should have any mystical power to turn objects, no matter how life-like they may look, into even semi-intelligent things, or to really manipulate object's physical FORM at all.. besides.. just moving them. Psionicists use their minds to directly manipulate people/things around them- they do_not_CREATE anything.

This again, is just my understanding, so if my reasoning is perversley flawed, let me know, but again, it's just sense talking..
felgand

Post by felgand »

Well said. Bravo, Apex.
suron

Post by suron »

and how is a psionicist supposed to 'control' this puppet from the other side of the world, and why would you assume a puppet had eyes?
With their minds, dear Apex, with their minds...
And the puppet would just be the focus for the psionists remote viewing capability.
It's my understanding that psionicists use psychic powers
Ah, here lies the slight misconception. Psionists use psionic not psychic powers, although the powers they do have similarities. People seem to think that psionists are just "mindcrafters" when in reality they are much more, although I do admit that psionists are portrayed poorly in the world of icesus(at the moment anyway).
This again, is just my understanding, so if my reasoning is perversley flawed, let me know, but again, it's just sense talking..
Not perversely flawed, we are just talking about slightly different things. Me talking about psionists and you talking about some third-rate-fortune-teller.
felgand

Post by felgand »

In short: help icesus is icesus :P

Psionicists in Icesus really do focus their energies on affecting the target's mind and while they are able to manifest their powers physically (a la telekinesis), they aren't much more than novices in that category. Psionicsts in other works of fiction may have a different role, but they really don't apply here.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

how about a another subguild that more then one guild can join? the ones who aren't psionicists could bring in the ability to bring the thing to life, and the psionicists could bring in the ability to control them. i know that earth priests could defentely do it, and when fire priests come they should be able to do it, sorcerers probably could, the coven could probably adapt their magic to do it(with voodoo?), mages might be able to do it, and rangers could summon a beast and use their help with this. i can't think of how the others could do it, but they might be able to.
ps, those who are not psionicists, probably would not abuse enough of their minds in this subguild to have mental problems