Shadowdancers..hunting?

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

apex

Shadowdancers..hunting?

Post by apex »

Just a thought that occured to me:
With their expertise in move silently, would shadowdancers make good hunters, if the need arose? I was thinking that shadowdancers could perhaps be given the ability to hunt with their daggers- to stab for the first hit instead of throw/shoot- as they should be skilled enough to sneak up on their prey and stab it, just as they would any other beastie... could be another fun thing for sdancers to do too...

Just an idea- and considering my state of mind, probably a bad one. feel free to bash me:)
osma

Post by osma »

I can understand where you are comeing from, espicaly since i think one of the "waiting" notices is that you see bushes next to you moving or something. However, unless you just happen to have a 4x4 truck handy, it is very hard to get a deer to stand still long enough to walk up and touch it, let alone stab it hard enough to hurt. if that worked, you would need at least 80 or so move silently, and a REALLY good backstab or whatever if you want to get a dagger deep enough to do any real damage. part of the throw is that the weapon goes deep into the animal.

Of course, the last time i hunted is back when you could make 10k or so as a lv15, so i dont understand alot about hunting.:)
apex

Post by apex »

Deer don't often move all that much when not startled.. ... not quickly anyway- and deer aren't the only thing out there. Anywho, I thought the idea behind shadowdancers was that they knew how to sneak around, and stab someone/something in the appropriate places to even make a more or less shallow stab lethal... if you can sneak up and assassinate an intelligent speicies, should'nt you be able to stab an animal? Yes, they have finely honed instincts, but so do b'roghs, firbolgs, mold men, etc. i'm sure.

More than anything i'm trying to throw shadowdancers a bone, as they're a guild w/ all sorts of skills geared towards pk that don't get much use:P
behrditz

Post by behrditz »

Gaesati can hunt as animals, meaning they get close and bite. If they can get close and bite with daggerlike teeth, i dont see why shadowdancers cant get close enough and "bite" with actual daggers
suron

Post by suron »

I agree with apex here, melee hunting should be allowed to stealthy characters (rangers, shadowdancers). If they possess the necessary skills to stay unnoticed in the wild.
iluth

Post by iluth »

If i was a dancer, i would prefer to spear the thing to mod or nigs, then stab it and finish it off. Prolly end up with more damage than some wiz-made hunting stab.

Though melee hunting is a really nice idea, specially for those who lose their hunting weapons.
shyress
Supporting Member 2005

Post by shyress »

I think this is a good idea because shadowdancers rely on their stab and pretty much such at ordinary melee. So, if the dancer is able to finish the monster off with 1-3 in a row stab(s) it would be nice...But it is quite obvious that average monsters will not go down that easilly. This idea should be implemented imo.
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

The damage should be done somewhat reasonable so it wouldnt be too easy.. I could easily stab 25k+ mobs to death with single stab with some over 300k devotion, and decent masteries.. (and yes, quite low tw too..) So just think of all the highbie dancers (zohlor) hunting in the glacier, hunting mammoths and stuff like that :p
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Yep, this might make hunting events slightly more interesting for people. BUT melee rangers should have the chance for something similar, too - not just dancers.

Possibly ambushing some animal by dropping onto it from a tree or something.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

If i can stab a already aggro guarding monster in the back i can not see why i cant stab a grass eating deer. I mean, ok, yes, wild animals are naturally very alert, but so is a agressive troll, but i can use move silently and shadowdancing to sneak up on him (with moderate success).

Than again, i can score a very nice pile of damage with a random spear and 0 skill in throwing. Why would i instead sacrifice it for something thats been tuned down to a scratch.

So, the idea itself is quite nice, however it cant be done to be fair and useable. If u make it a normal stab, its quite unfair at high levels giving high-level shadowdancers a upper hand in hunting compared to others who still just throw spears. If u tune it down, no-one will use it. The feature will excist, but its not useable, cause u kill things faster, if u just throw at them, than run and sneak back for a proper stab. The throw-run-sneak-back will work especially good cause they will not just tune the stab, they will also tune the chance of u sneakign up on something while hunting. So it will become easyer to sneak-Back, than to sneak-Up.

So, gratz Apex, its nice idea, too bad its not do-able.
Heres a recipe for better throw damage: Kill moles, ask a earth-priest to preserve the corpses, then put em in a bag. Now picture a masters of the Darts game, trowing Zombie-Moles at You. :D
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Shadow Hunting

Post by janeti »

If you can backstab an agro mob then surely you can just hunt as usual (with spear, dagger, rock, whatever) then backstab whatever you find? If you make melee hunting take slightly longer than normal (due to the need to get VERY close) then I can't see any great advantage except the bonus for single hit kills and presumably highbies have a huge advantage there anyway, due to them having much better hunting weapons (and they don't have to worry about getting it back afterwards, I doubt that there is anything that you can hunt that a highbie (plus friend if necessary) can't kill.

Also I believe, from experience only, that hunting damage is much higher than you would normally get from the weapon in question. So if melee hunting damage was not multiplied (or at least not as much) then there would not be any advantage over somebody with a high throwing skill (I'm assuming here that throwing actually influences hunting damage). If shadowdancer stab gives higher damage multipliers than hunting throwing then simply remove the bonus for a single hit kill for melee.

Incidentally, as a Ranger (with only 30ish hunting skill) I can gain exp quicker by simply walking through the OW until I come upon something I can kill than I can through hunting. Additionally I don't have to carry a spear, or risk losing it, and anything that is too big I simply leave alone, I presume the same would be true for a dancer especially as they could instakill things I would have to melee for a while.