Pets!

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Pets!

Post by xerene »

they could possibly attack aggro mobs, maybe with specials. you could 'sic' them on non aggro mobs maybe have a pet loyalty skill that helps with wether the pet attacks you or the mobs.....many different possibilitys. you could train them to 'fetch' something. You could hunt with them slightly increasing or decreasing your hunting skill depending on your loyalty skill percentage and/or the type of pet. ie: a wolf would be a better hunter than say a cow or a girraffe. Anyway, mill this idea over and let me know whatcha think.
apex

Post by apex »

I think it's a cool idea.. and even if the wizzes don't like it for balance reasons (who knows why) I think it should be implemented as a purely fun-to-do feature (Pets that can_not_fight- purely for interaction- something to spend $$ on that doesn't help you exp.- pets that just add to your appearance, and your 'character'... could be quite fun)
allanon

Post by allanon »

Good idea but:
xerene wrote:ie: a wolf would be a better hunter than say a cow or a girraffe.
No giraffes in Icesus, please. :wink:
Though I do think they would make excellent leaf hunters.

Pets sounds like a nice idea if they cannot fight, but can be hurt in combat. You wouldn't bring pet into combat if you were nice owner, anyways. During combat your pet either gets frightened and runs off for awhile, to reappear after battle over, or if it's a fighting pet like a wolf it will stay, but not actually participate in combat.
(Think: buy 10 wolves = abuse! Free meatwalls)

"Loyalty" should probably have some small base from your charisma stat. Feeding, grooming, playing etc. would increase it also.
Interesting add-on would be for pets to run away and become 'feral' animals if their loyalty reaches low enough...or just follow you around and bite your ankle or such.

Pets, like mounts, should probably get some feats, except call them tricks. Fetch, sit/heel, roll over, jump...play dead :wink: , etc. Because most of these are rather simple a player could teach the pet herself...probably need pet food or treats (eg. meat or such) for the training process though.

Certain kinds of pets could also get special uses. Example, a pig-type pet could be used to help sniff for certain kinds of mushrooms and fungus (they use them to search truffles in rl, so should be same sort of thing). Or hunting pets like wolf could help find game, like mentioned...

Pets should probably need some form of storage, like stables, but just for pets. An "animal shelter" or such seems in order. "Stalls" rental cost would be based on your pet's needs.

Some pets, like wolf, would probably need some taming or domestication also...unless this is assumed done beforehand (like the "mount" feat for mounts).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
minny

Post by minny »

Why would anyone want a wolf as a pet if it's available as a mount? But it would be nice if the pets responded to what you did to them...like a little puppy will sulk and whine if you kicked them or a more aggressive one will actually bite and maybe wound you.
xerene
Supporting Member 2009

Post by xerene »

note: I never said they were to be used as a tank. Something similar to a mount some possibly rideable and some not depending on the pet, could be real animals or fictional, some knowing tricks and others just there to be there knowing nothing but to eat and cr*p.
iluth

Post by iluth »

This is a nice idea :) i think this would rock just so long as it didn't have any positive affect on exp rate, it would end up with rangers being hit too hard with the tuning pole when i think they are already in good balance.

Just to add to this idea in case anyone thinking of coding this is listening: those dogs from the trading post area are really useful since they can recycle the TONS of unused meat rangers can generate when hunting or riding the outworld. Something similar would be really nice and maybe a nice addition to the room cleanup code.
Why would anyone want a wolf as a pet if it's available as a mount?
Because the idea of a medium sized ranger riding a wolf seems silly :P
minny

Post by minny »

iluth wrote:
...and why is that?
rotax

Post by rotax »

I want minny as a pet.
osma

Post by osma »

Animal ideas, mostly from d& d games i played:

Puppy - a great white winter wolf that is 6 feet tall (what can i say, i was a 14 year olf ranger and it is a dog.)

Fuzzy - a ferrit. keeps you warm (better regen) and bites ankels. (piercing damage :D)

Hippobottomless - sorry, misspelled that. (or did i)

Falcon (use flying code, perfect for hunting)

Bunnies of Doom - (half rabbit, half dragons. hey, even i didnt come up with that one.)
apex

Post by apex »

even if there is no benifit at all from owning a pet, i think it would be a fun feature. Would kind of let people personalize their appearance a little bit w/o writing it themselves, add some colour to the game in a way.

pets imho, should be interactable with, but impossible to attack, or to have it attack something else.. in other words- like people are saying, let the pets react to players petting/kicking them, but thats it. Perhaps with a cute pet your cha goes up? but i don't think pets should improve regen or dish out damage- would be a balancing nightmare i think.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

me want pet. ppleeaassee.
is the main idea to keep the pet for a longer time?
oder switch every 2 days?
do they get exp (without getting exp) so that they change to different aspect like shifters? and what will the shifters say? :D
questions ... questions ...

damn suddenly the fighter from baldurs gate with his thing (cant remember what it was... a rabbit) comes to my mind.
what was his name ... and what was the godamn vermins name?
Aarmon offers 1 Mithril / name.
mastema

Post by mastema »

Minsc and Boo, and it's a hamster.
iluth

Post by iluth »

minny wrote:
iluth wrote:
...and why is that?
Cuz wolves are pretty small, you couldnt ride one irl without hiking your feet up and giving him a really bad back. I think wolves would make better pets than mounts but that's only my personal opinion.
Minsc and Boo, and it's a hamster.
I want a Boo!
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I like Minsc and Boo:

Minsc: 'Get em, Boo!, Get em! Leave none alive!!!'

------------------------------
Big bad ass barbarian with tiny Hamster.
suron

Post by suron »

If you want to hunt with pets, buy World of Warcraft. This whole idea sounds like it's just been ripped from WoW. :?

(Not saying that WoW has many original ideas in the first place, but I'm pretty sure that this idea was inspired by WoW).