Looooong skills

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Looooong skills

Post by osma »

as i am shure most of you have noticed, this game has some long spells and skills. now spells have little problem, they have that nifty ##### to tell you that return home will be done in a half hour, go get some popcorn. Equaly, camping has those usefull "clearing rocks so you dont break your back" to let you know that you will be done ticking before your camp is built.

However, what about other skills? there are some equaly long skills (bowery, leatherworking, hunting, ...) that you have no idea when they will be done. i once started making a bow, read 5 help files, and it still wasnt done. more importantly, i had no idea how much time untill it WAS done. even worse, many times i have been sitting for 5 min waiting for my new boots to be leatherworked, only to fine out that it was already done and i missed it. so how about this, unless it is a skill that already has emotes (like hunting), why dont you add camping like notices? Examples:

Leatherworking: when leatherworking, it is so easy, just add something resembleing when the smith makes you a vest. you know, pulling stitches, marking lengths, ect.

(leatherworking at estimate: ever notice that when estimating skin for..., you will be able to tell that you failed simply by watching. if you succeed, it is done in 4 seconds. if you fail it takes 2 min.... that makes no sence. perhaps a quicker fail on estimate.)

Bowery: "you brace the wood so it wont move", "you add glue/the pullys to the bent wood," " you bend the bow tightly to add the string", excetra.
also failures partway through makes more sence. you could still just use "you failed to properly make the bow," but what about "you bent the bow so much that it broke in half!"

I am shure there are plenty of skills i dont know about yet, but just some ideas that would be more intresting then constantly seeing " you are working on Leatherworking."
drowsy
Supporting Member 2007

Post by drowsy »

Good idea...and to add to that camping thing. Still think that several people should be able to build the camp together to hasten it. If some people leave or if all leave, the camp won't break apart all together, but it would be left in the state they managed to get it to.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

All new skills do have msgs to the player and usually to the room, its just old skills that don't have this. Also you can always do use info to check if you are doing a skill OR cast info for spells.