Approach command

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

maktakk

Approach command

Post by maktakk »

I glanced over the different discussions of ideas and havn't found anything about this command so I'm posting the idea here. I've seen the approach command in effect in another mud and it brought close quarters combat and rp to a whole new level.

This command would be used to /approach/ a player or mob to give them items, gold, or for close counter combat.

exp: approach <mob, playername>

Once close enough you would be able to trade with the mob/player or attack it.

I believe this would help to bring a more realistic rpability to the mud and possibly a sharper combat system on whos closer to attack when in partys to a given mob or player.

The party placements they have for icesus is a wonderous thing and to have both these in place would definatly bring a more 3rd, 4th, 5th demensional world to icesus.
apex

Post by apex »

Ok, besides being fundamentally HELL to implement (i'm assuming), I think the system Icesus uses is fine. being in a 'room' with a mob often means you're close enough for combat, and in order to initiate in hand-to-hand combat, you're going to close on them anyway. It's like opening doors. Essentially understood. As for combat with parties, we already have a party-row system that places 'front rows' closer to the mob(s).

also, this approach idea seems abuseable in icesus, and more commands doesn't usually = more interesting play.

This may have worked great in the other muds, but (I hate to plug a help-file in the idea forums..) Icesus is Icesus, ya know? It's not for nothing that this is the best mud around.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Yep, as a default, we're close enough to interact with the environment, and if there'd be some distance between the character and something else, it is more of an exception - like that short period of time it takes the targer to approach after starting a battle with a bow.

The system works and is user friendly... almost like Icesus itself! :twisted:

And Icesus is not a 'rp' mud, roleplaying is acceptable to some degree, but in general there is no roleplaying here - except for some features such as templars' guard duty and some player 'fooling' around (and can't really roleplay since stealing, killstealing and playerkilling are against the rules, what does that leave? Speaking gibberish?)

Sure, if people want to roleplay, they can - but not that freely.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

The approach command as you have mentioned would seem to me an obscure way for the code to place a shadow which is required for the two objects to interact. Luckily for us icesus does not need this. As far as I can see this would severely limit many aspects coding wise that is now easily possible. As to the role playing aspect I think the system easily fulfills your demands of trade and there is even a trade command where players can become mini stalls. help trade for details.
maktakk

Post by maktakk »

solar wrote: like that short period of time it takes the larger to approach after starting a battle with a bow..
As I stated, approach with position rows Icesus already has, would allow you to keep a distance from a mob while in a solo fight. Approach after shooting a bow would be acceptible if your not already b eing approached by the mob, BUT it would allow you time to remove your bow get ready for close combat and wield a weapon. that is if the mob isn't already approaching you. It's also a good idea for a solo hunter so they may take a step back, shoot arrows or just flee.

It takes a good deal of time to flee sometimes esspecially when you get ambushed and being right next to two, three, four different mobs smashing you around, the /approach none/ command would reset the value and make you step away from the mob/person and have possibly have enough time to flee.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it could be hard to code, so Ill give you a bit of my mind. I heard Icesus was built by a college for students to learn to code and such. What's so hard in giving them a challenge?
apex

Post by apex »

Icesus was actually built to learn the english language. And we're not saying it's not doable because it's hard to code, ew're saying it would just create more problems that it fixes.

archers have to unwield/rewield in order to go from archers-to weapons- this works for balance reasons
and the whole no-at-a-distance fighting is also balance. shooting a pure-melee mob from afar would be way too easy, no?
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

maktakk wrote:I heard Icesus was built by a college for students to learn to code and such. What's so hard in giving them a challenge?
I'm not entirely sure how many of the original coders are still around (as in logs online on weekly basis), at least one? maybe even two?

Approaching would have its uses but after several years of Icesus being Icesus... not likely to be implemented ever.

Sure, I'd love to see mages get that 'monsters starts to advance towards you' instead of current 'I'm gonna cast my large ball of fire at you from one metre away' system, might even allow (smaller) mages to make some solorate!

As I stated before, the initial hit from archery gives you a small breather to change weapons/flee safely as the monster has to advance towards you, but that's pretty much the only case I can think of where this approaching is implemented already.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
osma

Post by osma »

one minor thought:

rows are good. that being said, they are not terribly realistic. from what i have seen, with the exception of specials (bite of a spider) and spells, nothing can hurt the back row. while this is great for a healer, in real life, a person attacking a group would be able to hit someone in the back at least occasionaly, unless the front row all used shields or in a narrow area where you would have to force the front row out of the way. it is not unreasonable to let the middle row at least get hit 1 out of every 10-20 hits... and let the now flanked mob take more damage to do so from the front row for one hit.

Furthermore, it would add a fun ability to very large/centaur creatures:charge. would deal minimal damage to front row, and give 1 solid hit to everyone in the middle row.

(i know, this is more of a seprate idea, but i was reminded when maktakk started talking about rows and approches.)
apex

Post by apex »

osma- many bigger mobs have specials that hit the back row. That being said, the idea behind the party-row setup is that the front row would function to keep hits from being taken by the bakc row- i.e. the back row would be farther behind, and the front row would keep themseleves between the monster and teh back row. I don't think regular melee needs to effect back row placements
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

maktakk wrote: Don't get me wrong, I understand it could be hard to code, so Ill give you a bit of my mind. I heard Icesus was built by a college for students to learn to code and such. What's so hard in giving them a challenge?
Err for the first point, I don't think its hard to code I think its a bad idea as it would severely limit the flexible nature of the combat code. Secondly this wasn't built by a college for students to learn to code, I am just another guy like the rest of the wizards who enjoy a hobby in coding icesus.
kanje

Post by kanje »

Somehow.. I just saw this as just one more spammy step to combat and interaction. It just means I have to alias a command to approach something before I can interact or kill it.

I understand that maybe it can have its uses in roleplaying. But code is not necessary to rp. What are the benefits of having a approach command?
dunn

Post by dunn »

The sort of interaction you are describing has its roots in virtual space, which is a whole different setup all together. Codebases such as Mordor use it, because it fits their theme.. There is no point in adding it to Icesus, because Icesus is not RP, that sort of system works well with about 1/10th of Icesus' experience ratio. I don't support any idea that will slow down the game like that.. There is such a skill as draw weapon. And a good bow shot will often give you ample time to ready your weapon without fleeing the room.

That system of wait 5 seconds, it's not your turn yet, i.e. let's play a little chess game first, would become immensely tedious and never match Icesus' current battle system.

And Icesus is unique, no need to make it generic.