Exchange coins in shops and banks command

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to be able to change silver/gold/platinum coins to mithril ones free of charge?

Yes.
66%
No.
34%

Total votes: 29

brich

Exchange coins in shops and banks command

Post by brich »

"Exchange <amount> <type> to <type>";
"Exchange all <type> to <type>"
where type can be silver, gold, platinum and mithril. Should work in banks (with 1% fee) and shops (without fee).
ex: "Exchange all silver to mithril" :wink:
This command could be very useful to players, an acceptable addition to the Icelib's gazilion commands and even give a bit more rp flavour.
Last edited by brich on Sun Oct 02, 2005 18:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

I like the idea of exchanging coins, but I don't think shops should do it for free - afterall, what shop owner in his right mind would want to conduct a transaction for no profit ???
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
dalaki

Post by dalaki »

One word: change.

It's in the shops best interests to have smaller amounts of money, to give change after transactions. If you've ever worked in retail, you'll know how annoying it is to give one person 90% of your change. People who want to exchange small bills for large ones then become your bestest friend.

The profit the shop gets isn't monetary, but being in a better position to serve customers. At least, that's the idea in flavor.
kanje

Post by kanje »

dalaki wrote:One word: change.

It's in the shops best interests to have smaller amounts of money, to give change after transactions. If you've ever worked in retail, you'll know how annoying it is to give one person 90% of your change. People who want to exchange small bills for large ones then become your bestest friend.

The profit the shop gets isn't monetary, but being in a better position to serve customers. At least, that's the idea in flavor.
Though, at the end of the day when the money is banked, shop keepers prefer less coins for the simple reason that they are charged more the more coins they deposit.

Yet, both reasons do not apply for the simple reason that .. shopkeepers in icesus have no need for more coins or less.
brich

Post by brich »

Yet, both reasons do not apply for the simple reason that .. shopkeepers in icesus have no need for more coins or less.

For that matter shopkeepers in Icesus have no need of players or any of their transactions because their just pieces of code but we like to see them there when we enter the shop no? It's about the feeling of the mud or, how some call it, rp.
I suggested this transaction to be available in shops also so that the party leader or even a mighty soloer doesnt have to walk miles to get rid of the tons of silver or gold.
The amount of commands/second shouldnt change much as the exchanges would be done just as often as the deposis of silver/gold/platinum at banks. On the other hand there would be fewer withdrawals for mere recharges, aquisitions of hay bales or similar stuff. Hmm, a poll about the desirability of such a command would be nice.
kanje

Re: reply

Post by kanje »

I agree with this idea simply, because it will facilitate looting and exping at the same time, and mainly that.

I will suggest that shops charge a slightly higher rate than banks do if the code if implemented. Players have no choice anyway, they can either exchange or make long trips back to some city. Either way, the shops will not make a loss.
Last edited by kanje on Thu Oct 06, 2005 02:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Money Changing

Post by janeti »

Isn't it already possible to get your coins upgraded, at least for some level/classes? I seem to remember doing it at some point. But I'm afraid that mentioning where might be considered over-sharing.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Just go and win at blackjack, you get all your winnings back in mithril.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Money

Post by janeti »

No I was wrong. I miss remembered, or wasn't paying enough attention at the time. Had a friend check it and it doesn't work.

There would be less of a problem if money didn't weigh quite so much, I think Icesus suffers a little from the D&D syndrome.

= Oh look! The silver you paid for that bread with weighs more than the bread. =
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

I guess I should mention the time honored way of dealing with silver... put it in the bank. If you really need to withdraw it you will lose 10%, but the trick is you probably never need to withdraw it.

Just hide all your cash in bags or such when you train at the guild and it will take it with no penalty from the bank. I think you'll find you can easily consume all your silver, and probably your gold and platinum once you get rolling in levels.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Is this really such a problem? Maybe I have not understood correctly, but shopkeepers and the bank are a few rooms apart.. Have we become too lazy to walk?
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

i think its not lazynes but the 1% loss that motivated the idea. However i agree that the "hide your mithril in a bag" idea is the best solution. Just keep depositing that silver and gold and when u train u will use the money from the bank.