master artisans

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

iluth

Post by iluth »

wouldn't it make more sense for artisans to be a sub guild after all? perhaps not an open sub, but a sub which has level, guild, race or stat restrictions?

if the guild is really not about making exp, what is there to convince somebody to really make a worthwhile artisan character? icesus is not really an RP'ing mud
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Money and lots of it. Plus you can make really good eqs with glows for your next reinc or for selling etc. And as mentioned several times, they will have ways of making exp also.
ghir
Supporting Member 2011

Re: Artisans

Post by ghir »

janeti wrote:
And you only need to train those skills recessary for the job(s) you want to do. Any idea what happens if you reinc with safe exp still on?
Nothing special happens, they still count as an exp you possess thus if you have 200M spent in levels and skills and 200M unspent, your total worth is still 400M and if you lose say 7% in reinc, you'd lose around 400M*0.07=28M.
zaltaiz
Wizard

Post by zaltaiz »

Remember there will be all kinds of ofther crafts in artisans, not just smiths and there will be even something to do when you aren't busy with fixing/resizing etc.

I see no reason why the guild couldn't be a mainguild, there's even a way to make some little experience. Or maybe even quite good exp, depends really how much you can make money with the guild.

And you can specialize to a single task, like smith who repairs stuff & miners who mine materials, you don't need to posses every level / skill in the guild. Some of these subs will have some open-for-all levels (ie 3 first levels in 5-7lvl sub) which allows them to do some minor tasks, like mine ore or repair some poor quality/material equipment.

And remember: when there's a demand there is always supply, the price will move to suitable level to make it profitable (ive been studying economics for long enough to know that :> )
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

zaltaiz wrote:
And remember: when there's a demand there is always supply, the price will move to suitable level to make it profitable (ive been studying economics for long enough to know that :> )
*nodnod*, though coding the guild so that it allows for the striking of balance on market power equally on both sides is, indeed, a demanding task. If there is not much competition (more likely in the mainguild-model), the suppliers can well either collude or wield monopoly power over the buyers whereas strong competition (more likely in the subguild-model) benefits the buyer, but taken to an extreme might make being an artisan unrewarding and thus uninteresting. :shock:

Anyways, I'm confident it'll work out both ways.. :wink:
Stalker

Post by Guest »

here's an idea: let each character create 1 increadibly powerful item. the item would be something with major powers and could not be used by the creator. also if they create it at level 100 or wherever the max level is, it would be much more powerful then if they made it at level 10. and since they could only ever make 1 of these items, they would wait and try to make it at the highest level. another thing, i think that the item should not be able to be sold, it must be given to someone for a service or as a friend and must always be with someone or in a locker, so the weapons or armour could not be destroyed in a shutoff. the one who makes it would be able to tell what it does and the owner would know as well.
mudley

Post by mudley »

I've been eagerly waiting for the 'smiths' to come into play and I have a suggestion for you to decide if it's worthy or not:

Why not make the weapon/armour enchantment available to a another guild, 'channelers' perhaps?
What I mean is that the 'smith' makes a superb fine steel breastplate, and the 'channeler' helps the 'smith' in the process and puts certain magical properties to the item in making. (I don't know if this will get too complex to code, don't know much about coding)
And of course, make both guilds somewhat mastery-based, and at least one of them a main guild, perhaps both? (water priests?)

This might hinder high-end players from getting superb weaponry for themselves (hammering them in secrecy, all alone in the dark, in the fiery pits of hell) and I think it would bring some balance to the economy, as lower level players could make something worthy of selling too, though it would require at least 2 players combining their powers, which shouldn't be too hard :wink:

Just a thought... :|
cyrik
Supporting Member 2013

Post by cyrik »

thera wrote:here's an idea: let each character create 1 increadibly powerful item. the item would be something with major powers and could not be used by the creator. also if they create it at level 100 or wherever the max level is, it would be much more powerful then if they made it at level 10. and since they could only ever make 1 of these items, they would wait and try to make it at the highest level. another thing, i think that the item should not be able to be sold, it must be given to someone for a service or as a friend and must always be with someone or in a locker, so the weapons or armour could not be destroyed in a shutoff. the one who makes it would be able to tell what it does and the owner would know as well.
Ehm.. In Forgotten Realms the dwarves could each only make one incredibly powerful weapon...and also in the book one dwarf gives his most powerful weapon to a close friend, so your idea seems to be much similar to the forgotten realms..

Post by Guest »

i know that it is not an original idea, but i think it is a good idea.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Artisans

Post by janeti »

So how long until the guild opens?

Instead of totally banning mith/ada how about removing their ores, leaving the only source as eq from mobs. With a reasonable (50%?) chance of ruining the material when you remove it from the eq and another reasonable chance of ruining it when you form it into the new eq. Then reduce the amount of enchanchment it can hold compared with commoner materials (due to it's already magical nature?), or allow none at all (you need to include the enchantment when you make the material, which no-one nowadays has the skill to do).

Or is that still too much?

I don't know how much mith/ada eq is on the mobs but I suspect that you need to know what eq is out there when you create your char to make proper use of it. And that will be even more true if the no smithing extends to no resizing.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

new idea: this will probobly be shot down before it gets off of the ground, but i think that the artisans should have the option to build old firearms. there is already the alchemist guild, so no trouble in the prepulsion department. what i think would be fun is if the guns were very slow to reload, did a massive amount of damage, but were very hard to aim well, and have a chance of blowing up and hurting the gunner.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

khade wrote:... guns were very slow to reload, did a massive amount of damage, but were very hard to aim well, and have a chance of blowing up and hurting the gunner.
well front loadable guns, are very hard to load fast. First you need to pour the powder in, then put the bullet in, then stump the bullet down with a rod, so the powder was all tightly in one place, then draw the flint back (flint could even need replacing often). And, wel,l aiming- the sights on a weapon appeared some very long time after, thats why cowboys always were all barrels balzing- most of their guns had no sight, so shooting 12 bullets at the time they had a chance of hitting something.

but im not quite sure if firearms agree with the general theme of icesus. Although yes alchemist could make gunpowder, artisans guns and bullets. And if artisans would have some fireing skills that woulb be a way for them to make exp.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

part of the fun with something like this is the chance, you may kill something or you may die. so the only ones who would use it are the gamblers.
frei
Supporting Member 2011

Post by frei »

In my opinion artisans should be main guild and it should work with lower totals too(repair/resize/minor stuff). And with higher totals you would be able to make stuff.

Skills like Repair armour and Resize armour would need only couple of skills and Creater armour/weapon would require a lot more as you need to mine(or buy) materials,refine em and then smith. Enchanting would be dependant of you masteries and they would affect hard what kinda enchantment item has. Like in some other guilds the masteries makes smiths a lot more powerful like with 100% all skills and you create armour it wouldn't be that good quality if you don't have masteries so these would require working.

And for Felgand: that example about doing things as artisan when no1 need your services you allways can mine/try to find mine's etc.
aieon
Supporting Member 2006

Post by aieon »

if the artisans/smiths will be able to enchant items, IMO the enchanting/channeling should have a skill for each primary glow. kinda like with weapons kills there is "melee,bludg.weapons,hammers". so it would be like "forging,create item,channel,protection/regenstats/off" etc.

but if there will be a priest_guild for enchanting, then nvrmind.