master artisans

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

zaltaiz
Wizard

master artisans

Post by zaltaiz »

I need ideas about the guild, post here what you'd like to see in it, what would you like them to be able to do etcetc.

It will take a _long_ time to code this, don't expect it to be ready too soon, but it will be someday.

There will be (propably) atleast the following things:
- weaponsmiths: ability to forge weapons & repair damaged weps
- armoursmiths: the same to armours
- new miners and geologists
- carpenters + cartwrights + lumberjacks
- leathercrafters
- seamstresses
- enchanters - ability to enchant (new) equipment
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

I haven't actually seen a house, so not sure about being able to put objects in it, but it'd be nice to have artisans that could specialize in things of that nature too. Not just shelves, but things for looks, vases, paintings...

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Houses can store any kind of objects whether they are items or monsters or anything. It just a matter of small coding so artisans could be easily able to do anything into houses if wished so.
ghir
Supporting Member 2011

Post by ghir »

belannaer wrote:Houses can store any kind of objects whether they are items or monsters or anything. It just a matter of small coding so artisans could be easily able to do anything into houses if wished so.
Though the problem with current objects is that they take space as much as say a rack or a chest. One lantern, one bookshelf and say a painting and you'd only have room for three more racks, no one can afford that (..with the current housing situation).
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

New items are not required to take "rack slots" from the rooms so you could have 6 racks + the new furniture.
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

Furniture could be fun too! Can you get other things for your house? Like Darts, a deck of cards...chess/checkers? *ponders other fun things you could put in a house*

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
cayldric

Post by cayldric »

Great... at last the ability to create my own armours and glows... well, when the code gets finished. At the very least, I will be able to get glows on my armours at last (blasted Light Armours) - in fact, get mithril,gloves,bezainted cuir-boulli,superb with +5hpr,+5epr,+5spr :twisted:

:idea: One level you may have missed is the Smelter - the one who turns the ore into raw materials, e.g. Iron Ore into Fine Steel. Not sure how this would work, but you'd need a lot of time and could be very boring...

Guild Structure - I'm guessing that, like other guilds, you work your way through subsections. Start off as a resource collector, e.g. miner or lumber jack and work upwards.

I guess you are well on the way with the skills needed, but here's a few ideas for the pot: new skills - Hewing (to chop trees down), Timbering (improves quality and value of wood as raw material), Woodworking (general ability), carpentry (self explanatory), <item> Master (ability to create more complex items, such as carts and boats), <Armour|Weapon> Smithing (self explanatory), Tanning (to create leather and cuir-boulli), Smelting (self explanatory), enchant <item> (self explanatory, but <item type> would be easier I guess, obviously a spell not a skill), next are all the spells to improve items, :idea: spells could be replaced by runes, max of say 3 runes per item [spot the GW Dwarf player], umm... can't think of any more off hand...

Next question is would it be possible for each player to own a material stockpile? I think that this would be extremely useful so that they can set up contracts for certain quantities of materials via the guild to ensure a constant supply of material X, and for those not used on a regular basis - well, you take your chance that the guild has some in stock.

Just wondering how players will have access to the required workshops/equipment - I'm guessing that there will be a building per town that guild members can access, as otherwise it could get a little annoying having to travel to a certain town to create a certain item. Then again, you have to travel to the guild buildings to level up so maybe not so bad...

Sorry to ramble a bit, but this is the forum equivalent of thinking out loud.
zaltaiz
Wizard

Post by zaltaiz »

There will be skills for refining raw materials into ingots etcetc which may be used for forging & repairing & stuff. But the problem is the wide range of different materials, ie player is able to create steel with iron + coal but fine steel will actually be damascus steel so you'll need different skills for that.

I really need to do some research about the refinging technics etcetc before i can really start coding & stuff. It will propably take months. The guild can't be rushed, it must be perfect :>

I have the smiths & enchanters somewhat ready but they can't be implemented before there's a constant supply of raw materials, so miners, geologists etc will be where i would appreciate some help with the planning.

And no, you can't forge mithril weapons, even enchanting stuff will need lots of research before one is able to do it.

Guild structure will be quite loose, there'll be several small guilds, some of those may be open for everyone (for the few first levels atleast) etcetc, only a few have some requirements.

And tools, players will be able to do them themself by using some basic tools found from somewhere in the guild.
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

spells could be replaced by runes, max of say 3 runes per item
I agree completely with this one, runes just seem to fit better...although that means changing all the equipment to have rune slots and that's a lot of work.
malag
Supporting Member 2005

hmm

Post by malag »

That 3 rune per item sounds too much like warhammer fantacy roleplay - where master dwarf runesmith can do the same thing....
cayldric

Post by cayldric »

I was trying to think of a way too keep user-created items low in power, and as a Dwarf Gamer, I immediately thought of runes... although there is also the "Diablo 2" method of gems and runesl, but that is more complex... depends if the Wizzes are up to something as complex as that.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Item creating?

Post by solar »

I'd like to see some new materials to be brought into the game, like different types of wood (oak, mahogany, 'ironwood' etc.). And bring back the 'feather' material if you are at it :)
This way the artisans will have a broader base to work with.
I'm not saying that we don't have enough materials as it is, but more materials give a larger variety of constructed goods, or hopefully at least. 8)

And when item enchanting is implemented I would like to see skill% dependant chance of enchanted item having additional bonuses/penalties. (Well, mostly penalties :wink: )

This way there'll be less people running around in their glowing adamantium full plate mails and +major speed/damage/accuracy mithril 2-h swords.

And before you ask 'Why?' I give you 'Why not?'.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I think the skills of crafting something shoud be partly learnable by doing. Im not saying make all thing so i can master them without spending any exp on guild levels, NO. Im sayin make the skill so that without any training i can fashion some bretty neat but low quality/durability/etc items. So if id want a realli _good_ item i would have to train under the hand of a true master (in a guild). I think this shoul also apply to bowery and fletchery. So say by simple practice i could learn the skill to 25% (so i could make unproffesionally made items) and if i want to make _godly_ items id have to join the guild.

In my opinion that is more logical. I can whip up a bow, its quite horrible, but once i have crafted 50 bows- i should have learned something about bowery, or do i have a brain defect that disallows me to learn anything unless sombody is pounding the knowledge into my head??
iluth

Post by iluth »

the only thing i have to suggest is that artisans could build houses (log cabins) in the outworld which would stay permanently, or stay as long as "rent" for the them was paid up

not holding out much hope for the idea, but i'll throw it into the hat anyway
malag
Supporting Member 2005

Hah!

Post by malag »

If you really make a good weapon the master smith often feels like a small parts of you is in the blade...
So instead of getting exp by makin a weapon/armor/what ever you loose exp - the better the weapon is the More exp you loose...
Muah!!