boats

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

do want bigger boats I.E. for the bigger races(not beholders)

yes
70%
no
30%

Total votes: 43

jarrun

boats

Post by jarrun »

I'm not suggesting anything atm I just wanna see if anyone is interested in the matter
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Bigger boats, like the ones in the Vaerlon boat race are in the works. They depend on a couple other things getting done first, so don't hold your breath.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Arrrrrr, booty ho!

Post by solar »

misrobo wrote:They depend on a couple other things getting done first, so don't hold your breath.
Trained and able crew? >:P
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
iluth

Post by iluth »

You go 'Arr!' like a real pirate.
Nuff said.
suron

Post by suron »

Was going to start a new thread but noticed this older one, and decided to post this idea here instead.

- Ships!

Artisans could build a drydock where the ship is constructed, after the ship has been built, they would build a dock/harbour for the ship to anchor itself after it is lauched.

Artisans could learn real shipbuilding skills. Building a ship would take an insane amount of time and materials and depending on the type of ship the ship itself would contain many rooms, captains cabin, messhall, cargobay, forecastle, deck etc for example...

The ship could be used to fishing, sailing, hauling cargo (mainly lumber/ore for artisans from distant mines etc) the ship itself would have an exit room where one could leave game safely with equipment saved.

Now, the sailing itself would not be done with regular movement like n,n,n,4 e,E ,E ,S etc... but with sailing skill accompanied with navigation skills, ie 'use sailing to east <number>' of squares, then with proper skills you would sail more of less to eastern direction.

Pirac^H^H^H, random encounters could be done with several ways, it could be made that npc generated ships would start to sail in the rivers and lakes and you would have to hunt them down normally...use sailing at follow that ship --> ramming speed! -> launch hooks -> Board them! Or it could be done with akin to hunting, where one could use a skill 'piratism' or 'orienteering' or whatever, you would need a telescope and be in the crowsnest to spot potential targets...

Sea battles would be hard (as in _hard), 6-9 men parties would have a hard time to board a hostile galleon/battleship but smaller cutters, merchantmen could be boarded with fewer men if lucky, the battle would consist of first killing the boarders, then storm the forecastle and kill the first mate, then captains cabin if the captain was not in the forecastle, then to cargobay where you could reap the rewards, tons of lumber, ores or few complete metal bars (artisan stuff basicly) and transport them into your own ship and while transporting your own cargo, there would be a small chance of becoming a target for npc pirates yourself and later you would drift to an deserted island with some floating woods, unconcious..

Also as I described under the 'new mount feat drifing' thread, these ships could be equipped with chronal navigational systems (read: magical device) that would allow an chronomancer/portalmaster to transport the ship into the void by opening a large portal, these portals might be of different size depending on the casters masteries/skills/spells/stats/levels and would require a constant upkeep of sp while the navigator/helmsman navigates through the void to the other end, this could also be nice place for void encounters/ambushes etc.

this chrononaviagtional device could also be attached to carts/wagons to allow them into the void, but the smaller size would enable them to travel safer and without navigational aid (the chronomancer could accomplish them both at the same time, like normal drifting) However both of these new voids would be separate voids from the normal chrono void, so no drifting mammoths to pass by thank you very much.

This was just a crude version of my thoughts, and ofcourse there is only a 0.01% chance that anything of this will ever be even read by the wizards yet alone to implement even remotely similar stuff, but please comment all you want.

(this version does not contain any weaponry ideas as I'm still unsure how they would be best to implement properly)
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

perhaps on the weapons front an artisan smith could construct cannon for inclusion in the ship as fixtures which could be operated with minimal commands - load cannon, elevate cannon to blah degrees, light cannon.

more than one party could travel on a large vessel such as a ship.

Of course in keeping with the hazards of the sea - perhaps there would be chance for attack by giant squid or narwhal ?? in some of the deeper water naturally...

With a large boarding ramp in the side of the ship for access to the cargo deck then horses and carts could also be transported (other mounts etc...)

If we are talking sailing vessel then perhaps air priest could have some sort of wind spell to aid in propelling vessel ?

alternately for attacking purposes maybe water priest could have some spell that controls the waters to an extent for harming an enemy vessel...

I can see the potential for many additions and changes to various guilds (and a lot of players learning swimming to high levels :P)
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Water, the second frontier

Post by solar »

pyrana wrote:perhaps on the weapons front an artisan smith could construct cannon for inclusion in the ship as fixtures which could be operated with minimal commands - load cannon, elevate cannon to blah degrees, light cannon.
We already have cannons in Icesus, see 'who guild mage'...

Anyways, catapults and ballistae could perhaps make it, but gunpowder... never. Let's just keep the game classic medieval fantasy.

It'd be neat to see these multi-room vessels some day... perhaps when we get underwater code working and so on...
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
iluth

Post by iluth »

The elemental boat race boats have some rooms on them, was it a cabin and a hold?

I'm definitely with Jarrun on the idea of new boats, rowing is very nice but it kinda kills your ep ;) hopefully these bigger boats will have some sails.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Nice ideas, although it would be a quite a big project to implement anything that is decent, still one day something may occur