Claiming mobs

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Good idea or no?

Yes
10%
No
66%
Has potential, needs changes.
24%

Total votes: 29

tenkin

Claiming mobs

Post by tenkin »

Since kill stealing is punished (sometimes regardless of proof) I think a system to stake or claim a mob would be a good idea.

You would run into the problem of people claiming mobs and then leaving, so perhaps it would expire in a certain amount of time, but not so short a time that it would not give people ample opportunity to regen... say... 3 minutes or so.

perhaps:
Tenkin: Claim goblin
Tenkin claims goblin as his kill
Pyrana: con goblin
(In addition to con info) Goblin has been claimed by Tenkin
Pyrana: Kill goblin
Goblin has already been claimed by another player
I'd also suggest an uncliam command and, of course, the ability to claim if for a party.

Just an idea
midrien

Post by midrien »

Can only claim one monster at a time as well. Cannot claim monsters far above or below your experience.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

There's couple of reason why this isn't very useful idea. Firstly wounded monsters are already lited so if a mob is wounded -> someone is killing it and you can consider it "marked" and you leave it alone. If it regens to full it's free game again. Secondly nothing can easily (or realistically) stop you from accidentally "stealing" aggressive monsters and thirdly you cannot claim monsters in full health. These examples (and there's more which I can't just think up at the moment) make the command more or less useless.
apex

Post by apex »

And aside from even the many good reasons Belannaer laid out, this idea would lessen the social interaction of players- putting more responsibility on the game's functions, and less on the actual player interaction. When it comes to issues of politeness and such, like kill stealing, it's better left to the devices of the players. (It appears to me that most of the time, when kills are stolen the problem is resolved between players, and wizzes seem to only step in in the most obnoxious and flagrant of cases...) yeah.. so boo.
kanje

Post by kanje »

If it regens to full it's free game again.
Do mobs lose their red highlight when they regenerate to full health? Does a right lite [for non-aggro] indicate it is taken even if it is at full health?
solar
Supporting Member 2020

alkulukuja paskova karhu

Post by solar »

Also, it would be very, _very_, frustrating for spellcasters if there'd be such a 'claim' feature.

cast large ball of fire at <monster>
you are prepared to release the spell
the monster has already been claimed, you cannot blast!
And this would of course ruin any 'rite of success' used and cost the initial spvalue of casting.

OR

the monster would get damaged, possibly even die, resulting in a 'unlawful' killsteal.

:C

Lite woundedmonster works great, if only people pay attention. The only problems are aggro monsters, whose colourcode hides woundedmonster colour. Especially if the monster is almost dead and the party/player kill it before realizing the situation.

Also, wandering monsters that want to help their friends are also problematic. The party has managed to get a monster to nigs and then its friend (who's been damaged by other player) wanders into the room and wants to help it fight. No one that I can think of would flee and wait for the monster to leave before continuing their own fight!
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I agree, the current system works just fine. Mostly all claims about kill stealing can be divided into these 3 groups:

* False claim- happens most often, probably because the wounded monster is a movable and has moved to a room the player can not find. Mostly bad coding but sometimes there is a reason to why a monster is allowed to move into a secret room.
* Accident- The wounded monster was aggro and/or attacked some player who killed it in 1 hit. Or monster was a moveable and stepped into a areaspell or a slow attack (eg cast spell at moose. Moose arrives from north. You hit the mooose (wounded) with your spell.)
* Real Stealing - some player who just doesnt care about the rules or who got tempted by seeing a 50K monster with just 1% hp decided to risk it and kill it. After he kills the monster he moves to another area and when he sees someone whining in chat about kill stealing he just says something like 'Ah, the monster probably moved to another room. Keep looking!'.

So, although the 'claim' system would effectively hinder all kill-stealing it would make the game a bit too *pain in the rear* to play.
iluth

Re: alkulukuja paskova karhu

Post by iluth »

solar wrote:Lite woundedmonster works great, if only people pay attention. The only problems are aggro monsters, whose colourcode hides woundedmonster colour. Especially if the monster is almost dead and the party/player kill it before realizing the situation.
Perhaps wounded and aggro mobs could be lited differently, like yellow.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

You can choose with what colour you lite wounded monsters. See 'help lite'.
apex

Post by apex »

I don't think wounded mobs need to be lited differently than wounded aggro mobs... once again, it falls into the players hands. you need to get a monster's shape if it's aggro. If you're fighting an aggro monsie, you don't want to let it get down to almost dead and then flee- these are all things most players should (and do) know. It's part of adapting to the world. It's not so hard to work around that it needs to be changed imho... I think that because of how open to suggestion Icesus is, and how player dependant it is, players adapt this silly "Change the world to suit me" isntead of "change myself to suit the world" attitude...
iluth

Post by iluth »

Sure Apex it is easy to check shape and flee first, but i've had mila steal a couple of my outworld undeads off me and he can use the excuse "i didn't check shape" and against someone like mila you just have to say, sure alright.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Iluth, leave a bag saying "Iluth" between runs. That way no one has an excuse about taking your undead.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

belannaer wrote:You can choose with what colour you lite wounded monsters. See 'help lite'.
If u change the lite color of wounded (read hurt, not bleeding) monsters to yellow, than the aggro color of the monster will overwrite it to red again, right?
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Yes