New players could be more easily helped or ignored

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

brich

New players could be more easily helped or ignored

Post by brich »

There have been and certainly will be many cases in which freshly created characters spamed the channels, offended players, advertised or generally misused the channels. What if we could help those in dire need or ignore the ones we most probably dont want to listen to? What if we could filter the messages on channels a bit?
I propose a sort of simbol to be added right after channel's name when a very new player posts. By very new player I would describe a character with lower then 1 milion total worth of experience. For example:
"Brich [sales] @ I rule the world! ICESUS IS SOOOO LAST TUESDAY!"
Any other way of easily recognizing a newbie post would do, the thing is to be able to sort the posts.
In conjunction which such an implementation on channels there could be a new option in "ignore" command in order to ignore these messages. For example:
"ignore newbies on <channel name>"
This ignore option I for one would use on [ice], [player-events] and [sales].
I do not intend to offend anyone but actually to gain a way to protect players from devious, perverted, evil,
idiotic etc. people whom create characters in Icesus for 5 minutes and spill their livers. In the same time we could recognize really new players posting and help them in various ways.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

might work better to have the command ignore noobs. newbies tend to actually want to play, but a noob is intenianally stupid.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

In general this idea sounds useful, but if u ignore everyone below 1M total on sales channel it might cause a lot of confiusion in new players (who actually want to play, not spam). Ignoring them makes sense cause u not interested in the stuff they sell anyway, but what if that newbie actually wants to buy something?

example :

Code: Select all

Highbi &#91;sales&#93;&#58; Got this nifty great quality dagger here, mb 1K
newbie &#91;sales&#93;&#58; @ Oh thats nice, ill bid 1K - this line gets ignored by highby.
Highbi &#91;sales&#93;&#58; no-one, huh? k, sacing it.
newbie &#91;sales&#93; @ What the... ? i sayd 1K!! - ignored.

newbie &#91;newbie&#93; @ why dont people sell me stuff? this place is so unfriendly...
midrien

Post by midrien »

Yeah. Segmenting the population like that just seems wrong.

So many bad things can, and will happen because of it
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

he is right, too many thing will go wrong, if you don't want to hear the stupid people, ignore them or get off the channel that they are on. alternately, party with them and take them to Graemor, then have fun with them. :twisted:
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

i kinda like it and dont like it

if hp sp ep is shown in exact numbers ... players of the same class/guild tend to have the same eq. set - the one that gives from the numbers the best results. so a lot of the "funny" experimenting will be lost.

on the other hand exact numbers rox! because you can exactly see whats the best items and skills for your guild/class.

:D
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Re: Sort of off-topic, but...

Post by solar »

zohlor wrote:I've been trying to recruit some of my friends from other muds
to play here and most of them, if not all, did not like the way
Icesus displays HP,SP and EP (in percents). Perhaps they
should be changed back to vitals? Or not, quality over quantity?
Yeah, there was a lot of whining when the system was changed to percentual in the first place. However, percentual display is easier for healers. So, WHEN you change them back, include some option for healers to have the partymembers display percentual stats to aid with directing mend spells of appropriate power.

Older players already have the 'advantage' of knowing how +con items and +hpmax items work with different background choices - I think I even heard some wizard admitting that they can calculate their exact hp/sp/ep amount.

Come on! It's not even an uptune! >:P
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

thats because they have seen the numbers before or?
i cant imagine that you can find out the really exact values, experimenting for years or not. i have experimented (including reincing 3 times in one day) for the best part of a year, and have only a slight idea. well i can guess how much hits one will need for an orc guard or how much hits one can take.
but thats not exact numbers.

thats just one part of the game i like.
i can remember a time in, lets take diablo 2, where some friends of mine almost fainted because i didnt take one certain skill at a certain lvl to be able to wear an item to be a character, which in the end was a clone of all the other characters in the game.
result: i had a character with the best stats possible - and it was so bloody godamn boring because everybody else had the same. :evil: :evil:

well its true you cant compare Diablo and Icesus. but thats just a point that comes to my mind when we are talking about exact numbers.

of course i would like to have numbers (no question about that) but i fear the people arguing on chat channel
"nooo dont be grazy. dont take ..whatever... as background. it gives you 1% less hpmax"

of course you can just ignore them and take another job.
right now you cant tell exactly if you took the best background, perhaps you did perhaps you didnt but with exact numbers you know that you took the wrong background.
and will reinc again with the best background and have the same stats like all the others.

i dont know if that is true for muds ... icesus is the only one i played longer to be familiar with and i havent seen it with numbers.

just a thought
solar
Supporting Member 2020

yeehaa

Post by solar »

aarmon wrote:thats because they have seen the numbers before or?

8<--------- SNAP!!!!---------

of course i would like to have numbers (no question about that) but i fear the people arguing on chat channel
"nooo dont be grazy. dont take ..whatever... as background. it gives you 1% less hpmax"

right now you cant tell exactly if you took the best background, perhaps you did perhaps you didnt but with exact numbers you know that you took the wrong background.
and will reinc again with the best background and have the same stats like all the others.
Yes, they have played icesus a few years when we still had numbers. I played for a few weeks before the conversion came and I can still pretty accurately calculate my hpmax and epmax.

And aren't the players taking the best backgrounds already?

True, there are those who don't try to be the best possible.
Internet tough guy

aarmon

Post by aarmon »

solar wrote: Older players already have the 'advantage' of knowing how +con items and +hpmax items work with different background choices - I think I even heard some wizard admitting that they can calculate their exact hp/sp/ep amount.
well thats the advantage for older players. they anyways have the advantage to be in an exp range thats _almost_ impossible to reach so whats the point?
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

aarmon wrote:
solar wrote: Older players already have the 'advantage' of knowing how +con items and +hpmax items work with different background choices - I think I even heard some wizard admitting that they can calculate their exact hp/sp/ep amount.
well thats the advantage for older players. they anyways have the advantage to be in an exp range thats _almost_ impossible to reach so whats the point?
That sounds awfully pessimistic and hopeless. :/
(Kinda like Ganucci when asked to reinc.)

The point is that at least some people want the exact numerical values back instead of the percentual system we currently have. Nothing else matters. Not everyone knows their hp/sp/ep amount, too bad! However, there are people who want to know, the 'explorer' kind of people interested in learning how the code works.

Also, it seems a tiny bit 'unfair' that some people know this already and some don't. As mentioned, they already have the benefit of exp (but they've worked hard for it, well... most of them at least.) Granted, they started playing earlier and without them the mud wouldn't what it now is (meant in a good way).
Internet tough guy

aarmon

Re: yeehaa

Post by aarmon »

solar wrote:
aarmon wrote:thats because they have seen the numbers before or?

8<--------- SNAP!!!!---------

Yes, they have played icesus a few years when we still had numbers. I played for a few weeks before the conversion came and I can still pretty accurately calculate my hpmax and epmax.

And aren't the players taking the best backgrounds already?

True, there are those who don't try to be the best possible.
lol sure i try to choose the best background possible.
that was what i was talking about. everybody will choose the best background and in the long run there will only be ONE best combinations of backgrounds.
so why not just erase the choosing and give every guild the background that leads to the best results automatically?
solar wrote:
aarmon wrote:
That sounds awfully pessimistic and hopeless. :/
(Kinda like Ganucci when asked to reinc.)

The point is that at least some people want the exact numerical values back instead of the percentual system we currently have. Nothing else matters. Not everyone knows their hp/sp/ep amount, too bad! However, there are people who want to know, the 'explorer' kind of people interested in learning how the code works.

Also, it seems a tiny bit 'unfair' that some people know this already and some don't. As mentioned, they already have the benefit of exp (but they've worked hard for it, well... most of them at least.) Granted, they started playing earlier and without them the mud wouldn't what it now is (meant in a good way).
no pessimistic at all. i have no problem with not reaching the exp max within the next 100 years.

no offense its just what i expirienced with quite a few games.
and it gets aweful boring to not be able to choose freely but to be forced to stick to one scheme or not be the best.
and everyone wants the best char possible or?
kanje

Post by kanje »

Why is it in percentages anyway?
dunn

Post by dunn »

There could be an option added to hp report, in the form of a switch that gives numerical values. Or in hp.

That should make everyone happy, as well as keeping it easy to use for healers. I don't think it should be an option in party prompt.

It might even make it easier to balance the game as a whole..