Reappearance of magic

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

midrien

Reappearance of magic

Post by midrien »

Now, we all know the practice of worshipping magic in its purest form died out long ago. But with the advent of all this new caster guilds, and "Hybrids" such as the Templars or even Rangers, it would suprise me if a few cultists got together and didnt try to bring the practice back to life.

Of course, they would be outcasts. Shunned by the major temples, and hunted down by any Temple or devouted followers that happened to find out about them. Secrecy would be of the utmost importance to these outsiders.

Is the Army the only guild who doesn't use magic at all?

A few lesser known members (NPC's most likely) of all the guilds have been getting together for some time now, actually managed to build a worship site to this non-element.

Pemriel only noticed recently. He was the first because of his calling as the guardian of eternity, his close relationship with the Chromatic stone. Once the colors started to falter, he knew something was wrong, and sent out a few of his most devout spies or templars to weed out the wrongdoings. He kept in contact with the heads of the other guilds in Vaerlon once he knew this wasn't a minor ordeal, asking for their assistance as well

This is just a basic premise of an idea. Be it an Event, a Quest or a major turn in the Religion system? Who knows.

Of course, open to ideas, -constructive- criticism and the like.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Everybody else versus Sorcerers?
midrien

Post by midrien »

Of course not.

Thats why this betrayal would hit so hard. Respected members from each faction would have been found out to be part of this group of magic worshipers.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Even if the practice of worshipping Magic was revived, I don't think that would bring the Magic God back to life. You did know he's dead, right? From where would these worshippers get their power? I don't see how they could constitute a threat, except as being a 'pagan' religion...

Psionicists don't exactly use magic. They use psychic powers, which use psionic strength points instead of spell points; also they don't use the 'cast' command (it's 'invoke' or something), and they don't use 'spells' - they use 'disciplines'. (iirc)

I wasn't aware that Monks got spells? It's true that they can take some levels in airpriest (epriest also?), but that's optional and it's not really 'monk spells' they're using, then.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
suron

Post by suron »

"There is no magic"

- Suron -
allanon

Post by allanon »

I know what you're saying, Suron, we don't use 'magic' in Icesus, not in the sense of how it's used in other games and such. Still, to be nerdily technical, spells are magic:

magic, n
1. conjuring tricks and illusions that make apparently impossible things seem to happen, usually performed as entertainment

Code: Select all

You intone 'Atha Pheeshylaphet Lhaan' while writing in the air with your finger.
->
Floating letters saying 'This is magic!'
2.a special, mysterious, or inexplicable quality, talent, or skill

Your knowledge of magic lore helps you in casting the spell.
You chant 'sszehiv magikus t^or', tracing the outline of a dagger in the air.
A magical dagger appears from thin air.
Magic lore and a Magical dagger appearing out of thin air...mysterious and inexplicable.

3.a supposed supernatural power that makes impossible things happen, or that gives somebody control over the forces of nature.

Help on spell fist of stone:
With this spell the caster can turn one's limb into stone.
Spell that makes an impossible thing happen.

OR...

You slash the air with your arms and intone 'precor ventus laniatus'.
You are prepared to release the spell.
A strong wind filled with razor-sharp blades sweeps through the room.
Help on spell bladed wind:
With this spell the caster can summon a wind filled with sharp blades which will sweep across the area. The deadly winds are difficult to control. Eventhe most skilled priests of Air sometimes lose the control, resulting in damage to everyone present.
Supernatural power that gives an Air priest control over the wind, which is a force of nature.

4.the use of supposed supernatural power to make impossible things happen

See (3).

You intone 'FORGOS'ZEL villmls' in a deep voice.
The magic forces you to release it! You ROAR like a tornado in rage!
A huge RAGING tornado of lightning hits Ereldon.
Use of a supernatural power to make an impossible thing happen (tornado of lightning attacking elf and leaving you unharmed).

vt
to make somebody or something seem to appear, disappear, change, or move by using magic

Help on spell summon booth:
The spell summon booth enables merchants to move their booth over vast distances easily.
The spell doesn't juse make the booth seem to appear; it does appear.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Worshipping magic wasn't shunned as evil before, so why would it now? The God of Magic is dead, so it is only revered in its old institutions such as the mages.

If you're going to bring back magic, do it right.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I heard that the sorcerers were the people who still worshiped the dead god of magic, and had adapted their spells to deal with a dead god. might be wrong, but it sounds like fun.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Magic

Post by janeti »

After many years of trying Dhubr finally manages to raise the god of Magic (? name ?) as an undead, can Dhubr now control this creature and thus control all magic?

Just a sudden thought.
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

Well sorcs dont really worship the dead god of magic,

"Soon two groups separate from the council, the one that
was led by the elven magus' and one which contained
a small number of dark elf sorcerers. Their separation
had more elements than just the difference between
their view of the future; the Sorcerers had plans to
utilize the raw energy from the plane of magic and to
pursue the reborn of the god of magic, either the
fallen god or elevating some other being to the status
of a god. "

"The time has come for Sorcerers to recruit new members. They might even take some other races, but only dark elves can access the highest positions in the Conclave. The struggle to find a new god of magic is still as fierce as ever."

Couple of lines from one sorc info. So they really dont worship it, but are only seeking a new god to worship, also they are the purest "magic" users in valley.

Also the statement that Janeti pointed out, could be a new idea for earth_priest's? Maybe the guild leader of highpriests could possibly command it with certain amount of masteries too? :twisted:
<memories>
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

If you really want a group of evil doers who everyone hates just think up a new cult. Something like worshipers of chaos or a group of evil warlords who want to start a war between Graemore and Vaerlon because they have great thing to gain from it.

Basically, the story related to the God of Magic is already used up, by the sorcerers. And i wouldnÂ’t go poking around with Fire and Water either- they too will one day have their own priesthood as a guild.

I think if you seek a villain it be best to blame the potential of corruption, evilness and betrayal in every mortal creature.
suron

Post by suron »

We all accept corruption, chaos and evil deeds in the world as part of normal life. People dislike them publicly, but revel in them privately. This is true! But what really scares us are those religious zealots and fanatics.

I know what you are thinking! Those damn terrorists!

WRONG! Atleast with them you know where you stand.

I'm talking about those damn goody-two-shoes organizations.
watchtower, jehovas witnessess etc. Those really creep me out bigtime. They have to have a hidden agenda. Why else would they use some much time and resources to build up that righteouss public image, good morals, healthy lifestyle etc. Does those things ring your warningbells? Huh?

What are they collecting money for?
Why do they recruit more people to join their ranks?
Why are they trying to take over the world?

I've seen the looks they give me when I walk in the city with my long black leatherjacket(gestapo style), like they were thinking: "You just wait, mister, You're gonna get it soon!".

The point is that people hate the unknown, atleast they distrust it. People seek for hidden agendas, hidden meanings, secrets even in things that don't really possess any of those and when they can't find one they make them up just to suit their needs. Beware of the Antichrist, he's after your money!

(ok, I admit that I got a bit sidetracked from my original thought, oh well. Which was basicly the idea that we like to see do-gooders figures crash and burn. Just ask yourself, what interrests you more? "Courteney Love overdosed!" or "Pope got arrested in a BDSM club!")

So the cult idea was a cult of something who does things to you and automatically take some of your money -> hate factor guaranteed. (They are not thieves, because you "voluntarily" donate the money)

- S -
solar
Supporting Member 2020

nodnod, 100% facts here!

Post by solar »

suron wrote: I've seen the looks they give me when I walk in the city with my long black leatherjacket(gestapo style), like they were thinking: "You just wait, mister, You're gonna get it soon!".
I know exactly what you mean. My teacher gave me not once, not even twice but THREE times the weirdest/dirtiest/most condemning look possible when he spotted me wearing a stylish long black leatherjacket! There surely were more people with him but I didn't notice their reactions!

Why is it so that those bloody hypocrites are so quick to judge by how I look? I happen to like black clothes and they're so practical during nights, too. (And people can't spot the stains on them so easily). Even better, I can conceal longer objects under it that regular coats couldn't without a distinguishable bulge shown through the fabric.

And I'm sure I saw a 'wifebeater' t-shirt (concealed) under his coat the other day... Sigh.

And just recently people have been calling me 'hitman' and 'assassin' behind my back! And to make matters worse I've openly admitted that I play rolegames (75% of those who heard were mortified, the other 25% hastily left the room), MUD (66% left) and then I shut up - the rest left, most certain now that I'm some freak to be avoided! I barely got over it and went to examine some swords that were on sale. :C

Yep, I've seen corruption like this wherever I go. It's present in every bus (no one will sit next to me, they'd rather stand - even if I've recently taken a shower). In supermarket queues so-called normal mothers will choose the queue where I'm not rather than take place behind me - even if the other queue is twice as long!

Whispers behind my back, pre-teen girls laughing scornfully at me. Groups of people encircling me (Yep! they have to be Gaesati shapeshifters if they use their tactics!) to verbally abuse me! And my pleas for having them put under a restraining order haven't been taken seriously because they conceal their foul actions with religious influence (Jesus, Hare Krishna etc). The law thinks that they haven't done anything wrong and won't act. And then the next day I glance at a newspaper and read that 'this and this church has sexually abused minors' or 'cheated hundreds of thousands of euros from X' and 'Lawyer caught driving under intoxication'...

There is even a saying that 'virtue is its own punishment'... we fear virtuous people because they punish themselves constantly... Masochists are bad!
-------

I back Suron up with 100%, since there are no truer/better ideas presented, ever.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
sulakrin

Post by sulakrin »

Erm... yeah...

Well, I for one would like the option of setting my worship to 'Magic', even if it doesn't give me any benefits other than being unable to worship something else without a reboot.