Rare Animals

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

oren

Rare Animals

Post by oren »

I had an idea for hunting. It would be cool if there were some slight percentage of chance to hunt a rare animal. The rare animal could give several different rewards, like a big chunk of exp, or the skin be worth alot of cash, or event the skin be glowie, and when leatherworked makes a decent magic item.

I think this would add another dimension to hunting and provide some sort of randomized reward.

Thanks for reading.

O.
midrien

Post by midrien »

There obviously has to be some downside to hunting rare/endangered animals. Rangers would obviously hate you for it, as you are damaging the ecology.

Some might even take it out on themselves to kill you for such a travesty, as self-imposed game wardens.

Their skin should not be glow, thats just too weird.

Could obviously have a # of rare animals hunted plaque or something silly, extra experience would certainly work as well. The fur trader may or may not want to buy the skin, or simply has a chance to recognize that its a rare animal and attacks you on sight.
osma

Post by osma »

i disagree with midrien. the "rare" animal (obviously my reply does not affect endangered animals) would not nessarily be low in population, or special in any way. they might just be an animal that is hard as hell to find and good at avoiding hunters. Although i am not enough of a hunter to know, i would assume that it is not possible to hunt and find beholders, despite being able to find them in the OW.

Small, difficult to track animals, would be ideal for this idea, and since it is so difficult for anyone to find them, their skins would indeed be either very valuable (super soft fur, for ladys undergarments :) Victoria's secret mink fur) or magical. I think the idea is a good one.

also, using the "hard to find/catch" idea, skill in camoflauge would be your best skill, increasing the chance. this would make it also a good way to get newbies to start hunting, since it would not nessarily have to be a large animal, just hard to find.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Istead of hunting all those gray wolves and brown bears it would be nice to sometimes find a magical creature like a dire wolf or a dire bear.

And i personally would not mind if the skin of very rare creatures would have a higher chance of becoming a glow eq when leatherworked. Actually a higher chance of glow eq with leatherworking would rock. How about bonuses based on animal type: wisdom for some owl skins, dex for the skins of foxes, str or con from the skins of bears.

And hunting the nightmare species to near extinction just for a higher chance of getting a +fire damage gloves seems totally justified to me :P

And as im rabling on here already, what about bonecrafting? Carving bones from creatures and making weakons and armour from them. Bone is not the best material for armour and weapons but with considerable skill you might make a mace or amulet worth having. My earth priest would really need some shrunken-head necklace or a spiked skull as a mace.