cross-effect of shifter kinships

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

andr

cross-effect of shifter kinships

Post by andr »

I would like to start a discussion concerning shifter kinships.

1)The problem: It looks very strange to me that shifter's kinship have effect ONLY on the performance of the corresponding form. It seems tt even contradicts the idea of the "mastery" skill Ways of Walmor:
... This knowledge accumulates as
the shapeshifter becomes more and more accustomed to the shapeshifting and
masters the different forms and aspects. When a shapeshifter has mastered
his skills and accumulated all the knowledge about the ways of Walmor he is
truly one with his bestial inner spirit and the animals he tries to imitate
by taking their form.
Does it mean that by just taking levels you get accustomed to shapeshifting and by gaining actual experience (kinship) in some other form you are not?
Another aspect - take a look at the furious assault skill. Let's assume you are currently using a bear form, and the bear kinship helps alot, but why then wolf or cat kinships have no effect? Isn't it true that all these animals can use similar assaulting tactics?

2)What can be done.
a) simplest solution: The sum of all kinships is counted as a "super-mastery" which helps with any form.
b) Kinships of similar forms help the current form performance (wolf-cat, serpent-snake; bear and tree will probably get their counterparts, so for them too. quick fix for the moment: bear-tree pair)
c) Same as two points above, but in respect to Furious assult performance only.

3)How it will improve gameplay. At the moment most of shifters just use always the same form which is their specialization to get as high kinship as possible. By implemented the ideas described above, people will be motivated to start using other forms which are more suitable for specific circumstances (e.g. tree as a defender, bear as a berserk party fighter, snake or spider for solo - the choice will be up to the player).

Please post your ideas!

Andr
apex

Post by apex »

I think it woudl be cool to promote more variety in play in the shifter guild, especially by making it easier to do and be good...

and Gnoza:
Yes, some people don't have enough exp to join every subguild, but since when are tunes/features meant to be equally beneficial to all levels? This doesn't sonud like it would make the low shifters worse as much as it would make high shifters that played with more variety better.

I think it would be cool to implement something (maybe not this, but anything) that promotes shifters actually..shifting..more often, rather than logging on, shifting to their main form, and staying there until (they're injured/shocked out of it or...) boot. Might be cool to give them a reason to utilize the idea of the guild...

Even with this said, though... This 'super-mastery' shouldn't be very good, lest some uber-higbie comes in and maxes all his/her kinships, and becomes so uber that it forces a humungous downtune to everyone else. (like w/ templars...)
dunn

Post by dunn »

Yes, it is a good idea that other kinship masteries should play some role in how good a shifter is, but you run into the same problem that the actual effective kinship value has to be downtuned to make room for the added bonus.

Plus, if you downtune the effective kinship value, it would make it x4 slower to become powerful (or at least the same level) in the guild because you have to play every form.

Maybe, it's my suggestion, the combined mastery totals could play a role in some new ability, not directly related to combat - shifters as it stands, is a very limited guild in versatility. (every other guild has some variation to how you can play them, parties, solo, do something else)

I would like to see the shifter guild expanded a little more. Add a new dimension to it. What else could they do with this shapeshifting ability besides kill.

- one of the more striking aspects of the guild is that you can train camping and yet, are unable to build camps while shifted - maybe we can take this further and allow shifters to build a special type of camp, that takes longer to build but lasts every boot, and it would serve as their primary regen/idleing location

So, introducing shifter habitats!

- there, they could gain temporary natural bonuses (rate and amount of gain dependant on their kinship levels, either specific or combined - would be a sort of harmony with nature), perhaps like monk meditation or shadowdancer rituals (though it would not last through boot) - except in this case it would be how rested and how happy they are with their natural habitat a shifter is (which they would have to find or build), and it would have to be refreshed once they have been away long enough

- wolves could, based on terrain type, find a natural cave (as opposed to building a nest) where they could sleep and gain temporary natural bonuses, and perhaps other wolves could use it, since they are pack animals

- bears could use winter terrain to hybernate

- trees could find a nice location, near some river and blend in based on their form type (oak trees near decidious, treants near swamps with streams)

etc
midrien

Post by midrien »

Build ourselves a den or home or sorts? That would be fantastic.

Not sure what kind of bonuses it should give, if other players would be able to access it and the like though.
dunn

Post by dunn »

What do you mean, Midrien's idea? That was my idea.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Andr's post was longer!
andr

Post by andr »

Mine had a better structure :P
osma

Post by osma »

since this has been inactive and not used:
would like to reopen the idea of making a den.

this would be a camp that shifters can make while in animal form and would perhaps only help shifters and maybe other "natural" guilds like wilders and rangers. would use camping skill. silly to have the skill in guild and not be able to use it when in animal form.
goderic

Post by goderic »

osma wrote:since this has been inactive and not used:
would like to reopen the idea of making a den.

this would be a camp that shifters can make while in animal form and would perhaps only help shifters and maybe other "natural" guilds like wilders and rangers. would use camping skill. silly to have the skill in guild and not be able to use it when in animal form.
Everyone in the Coven will naturally want to seek and desecrate such places. Actually, getting a little off topic, but I think it would be cool if templars and perhaps priests could legally destroy wilder shrines, the infidels.
nezen
Supporting Member 2017

Post by nezen »

Goderic wrote
Everyone in the Coven will naturally want to seek and desecrate such places. Actually, getting a little off topic, but I think it would be cool if templars and perhaps priests could legally destroy wilder shrines, the infidels.
Yes, I'm sure wilders will be happy to oblige to this, being the law-abiding fine citizens they are