Mansions

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

belannaer
Wizard

Mansions

Post by belannaer »

Starting a mansion will require a substantial amount of money, something the lines of 25-50m most likely. This will basically give you the "gateway" object to outworld that allows entrance to your mansion and inside the mansion only the entrance room. Building new rooms and additional exits (first in each room being free) will each cost more money (1m/room). The mansion will work with 2D virtual map that works similarly to old mining code that allows you to open new rooms and set exits as you wish.

Code: Select all

Sample map:
O-O-O-O-O
 X  |   |
O O O-O-O
   /|   |
O-O-O-O-O
 \  |
O-O-O-O O
 X  | |X
O O E O O
Newly build rooms are empty and useless corridors basically until some room module is build into it. These modules that are applied to the room mainly as an interactive object, if possible, when the room loads. For example stablehand to store your mount and cart or a field object in your garden. Modules can be for example:

Generic modules
- Entrance room (basic room, has main controls, stockpile of materials)
- Storage room (your standard rack & chest rooms)
- Garden (grow your own shrooms and herbal products, outside room)
- Stall
- Crafter's hall (workbench in a mansion!)
- Alchemist's quarters (makes better/more potions than normally)
- Library (temporary learning buff)
- Servant's quarters
- Altar (altar for all gods, can take blessings from too)
- Trophy room
- Chronomancer beacon
- Guest room (room that can be given for other players to use)

Guild modules
- Sorcerer's nexus (+dam etc)
- Scion's blood shrine (private bloodpool -> increases your bloodmax etc.)
- Monk's quarters (private meditation room for ^x faster meditation)
- Priesthood chapels (+effect,dam, store minion over boot etc.)
- Mage's spire (+dam, swarms, etc.?)
- Wilder sanctuary (build your shrine inside your own mansion!)
- Gaesati totem (totem for your own form, +something)
- Templar warshrine (+bond regens or something?)
- Shadowdancer (increased devotion gain, personal prayer gains?)
- Psionicist's crystal (better meditation, +psi strength)
- Army sparring room (?)
- Ranger grove (?)
- Coven (?)

While anything up till now are doable with just money building the modules will require an additional materials to build them.

List of materials:
- Money
- Wood (loggers)
- Clay (clay pits)
- Stone (quarry)
- Iron (mined)
- Reed (collected from riverbeds, straw from gardens for thatching)

Each act of tree felling, mining etc. will create a certain amount of material that will be moved into player's personal stockpile at the material market. From this stockpile player can convert the products into "units" of that material to be sold at the market and to be used for building. There will be a market where any producing player can sell their materials to the market at fixed prices even if there isn't anyone currently buying anything to a certain amount after which the prices will start to drop from over inflation of that material. Mansion owners can buy the materials from the market at these same fixed prices if there is materials available and they will be transported to their mansion to be used for building.

An example of possible fixed prices for materials per unit:
Wood - 10000 silver
Clay - 15000 silver
Stone - 25000 silver
Iron - 50000 silver
Reed - 5000 silver

Theory behind this is that for example if a wizard wanted to define price for example altar module to be 5 million silver he could make the room cost 2.5m money and combination of materials costing 2.5m like 100 units of clay, 20 units of stone and 50 units of wood. A rich player could simply buy the materials from the material market if there are some available and build his room without hastle. A less rich player might instead go and try to gather up the materials himself to reduce the building costs. Materials may be directly transfered between players without payment so using secondary characters or friends is possible as well.

All ways of production will be available as open guilds that are possible to take with profession levels so anyone can quite easily start producing materials if he wishes to do so.

Any comments, ideas, "fuck you we've had enough of you and your ideas"?
Last edited by belannaer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 23:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

this is just great. i always felt a lack of a decent housing solution in icesus (apart from a lack of parcel service of course).

..... rangers grove - ability to grow (cast) a bunch of herbs at once? higher quality salves made there? place to temporaly charge your bow with some fancy trick? your personal ep refreshing/ ep maxing pond there?

.....does this all mean that miner's sub will be in the game soon again? would be great and i believe that one must have materials not only for expansions but for original construction as well.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

what about sheep, wild boars and cattle?

Post by solar »

Idea, sort of:

Dining hall module:

Would contain tables, miuch like Vilbor's Inn, and where your own personal dwarven iron chef would cook masterpieces of nutrition for you, or prepare road rations to be taken on a journey.

Great for organizing in-game parties (if anyone still does them).

Are mansions simply financial black holes, or will they produce income for their owner, outside tenant rent etc?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
belannaer
Wizard

Re: what about sheep, wild boars and cattle?

Post by belannaer »

solar wrote:Are mansions simply financial black holes, or will they produce income for their owner, outside tenant rent etc?
In their current form they are. But I wouldn't rule out a possibility to have some modules that could potentially produce income in some form. Like for example servants quarter's where you could have bunch of servants that you can assign tasks for like to gather building materials (which can be sold) or tend to gardens (increasing their productivity) or make potions for you with alchemy lab etc.
kniga
Supporting Member 2006

Post by kniga »

Idea that wilder shrine inside mansion is great, if you could build scion blood shrine in there too. How about if wilders could paint their blood markings from there too.. Might even give little spark to make some exping again with wilder!
goderic

Post by goderic »

Would the guild modules give permanent bonuses, or a temporary one after 'use'?. Would they save across reincarnations, or be changable? (I'd suggest permanent, in time you could build up a whole set!).

Trophy room... what had you in mind?

Other items that spring to mind:
Bar. Ability to get drunk in the comfort of your own mansion. Could include a dartboard, also act as a 'safe room' for leaving the game.

Dungeon. Pure virtual dicksize here. C'mon, who wouldn't want one?

Library. Gives slightly better exp rate, a bit like that special blessing?

Might also be cool to allow secondary characters to share the use of their primary's mansion, for those select few who earn the right to them!

Edit: certain mobs already drop stone blocks, planks etc... guess these would be a new generation of 'money mob'!
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

goderic wrote:Might also be cool to allow secondary characters to share the use of their primary's mansion, for those select few who earn the right to them!
Mansions maybe shared by other players. Only one person will the owner and have access to mansion related commands but other people may bunk under their roof if the owner allows them to. It will be also possible to set permissions to each room and module so that you can limit what and who can use in your mansion.
goderic wrote:Would the guild modules give permanent bonuses, or a temporary one after 'use'?. Would they save across reincarnations, or be changable? (I'd suggest permanent, in time you could build up a whole set!).
Current thinking behind these is that you have to go and pick up a "buff" from the room every boot that lasts for that whole boot and you are only able to take it if you have corresponding main guild or secondary guild. They will also have a "cooldown" that prevents multiple people using them at the same time. Owner will be able to rebuff himself even while the cooldown is running if he was the last player to use it. There also might be a possibility to "upgrade" your guild module through some ways (probably different for different guilds) that increases the effectiness of it and may give new features to it.
goderic wrote:Trophy room... what had you in mind?
Somewhere to hang those dragon heads naturally? Might build up some "prestige value" that can be used for some purpose (other than dicksize meter).
goderic wrote:Other items that spring to mind:
Bar. Ability to get drunk in the comfort of your own mansion. Could include a dartboard, also act as a 'safe room' for leaving the game.
If possible every room in your mansion is 'safe room' for purposes of leaving game. If that proves too complicated/resource eating feature then most likely the entrance and/or storage rooms will only be safe rooms.
goderic wrote:Library. Gives slightly better exp rate, a bit like that special blessing?
I'm thinking more along the lines of temporary learnable-by-doing skills chance improvement and a place to dump books/newspapers/etc.

goderic wrote:Edit: certain mobs already drop stone blocks, planks etc... guess these would be a new generation of 'money mob'!
Those probably will be unusable or there will be a way to convert them into new "material units".
phadreous
Supporting Member 2012

Post by phadreous »

Blacksmith/seamstress? Who can mark,resize,id items.

Channeler room? Restore your glows in the luxury of your own mansion.

Vault? Deposit/Withdraw money from the luxury of your own mansion like in home bank or it could be easy coin storage without withdraw tax. There could be a teller which could manage all who share the mansion's coins.

These maybe a little too lazy, but it seems fitting that a mansion would be self sufficient. Just the connivence of fully prepping your char from your mansion.
goderic

Post by goderic »

Another nice little detail would be to be able to select from mansion, castle, tower, lair.... All functionally identical, but with slightly different descriptive text for the exterior/entry rooms.
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

I second any idea that brings in open crafting related guilds.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

goderic wrote:Another nice little detail would be to be able to select from mansion, castle, tower, lair.... All functionally identical, but with slightly different descriptive text for the exterior/entry rooms.
There will be simple basic descriptions for rooms and most likely a possibility for players to change the descriptions themself.

EDIT:
Since several people have asked I'll say it in here also. There will NOT be a limited amount of mansions available like there is apartments. Every player may own mansion as long as the outworld rooms don't run out to put one in which shouldn't happen too soon there being few million suitable rooms. Placement of a mansion will probably be somehow restricted though so that you cannot place it exactly where ever you want (too close to a city, unsuitable terrain etc.). They may also be moved if some wizard for some reason decides later that the place is not suitable or needs to change the terrain for some purpose (adding new area for example) but in general it shouldn't be a problem.

There might or might not be additional requirements to build one in addition to money cost (prestige/exp for example).
douhnin
Supporting Member 2011

Post by douhnin »

I think this is a fantastic idea and has a lot of potential to be a really cool aspect of Icesus. I think those things if, of course, the finished product ends up resembling the aforementioned outline.

Putting too high a requirement on a player's ability to create their own home would just be adding more of the same to the game. Those at the top get what's available, the rest are left scraping the floor for leftovers if there are any. Let this idea not fall into that dried-up routine, please!

I can understand not wanting any random person that's been playing for an hour and a half to go out and be able to start building this mansion for themselves. However, there are folks that've been playing for a decent amount of time and are not as far along as they possibly could be when it comes to experience, and prestige is usually out of the question with them as well.

I look forward to this system being well thought-out, balanced, and fun. Hopefully sooner than later :P
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

douhnin wrote:I think this is a fantastic idea and has a lot of potential to be a really cool aspect of Icesus. I think those things if, of course, the finished product ends up resembling the aforementioned outline.

Putting too high a requirement on a player's ability to create their own home would just be adding more of the same to the game. Those at the top get what's available, the rest are left scraping the floor for leftovers if there are any. Let this idea not fall into that dried-up routine, please!

I can understand not wanting any random person that's been playing for an hour and a half to go out and be able to start building this mansion for themselves. However, there are folks that've been playing for a decent amount of time and are not as far along as they possibly could be when it comes to experience, and prestige is usually out of the question with them as well.

I look forward to this system being well thought-out, balanced, and fun. Hopefully sooner than later :P
Requirements will be at most same level as what it is to get a surname but it might be also possible to make the requirements scale. For example starting requires only money and possibly a low level requirement. Then to get more rooms the requirement would scale up for every new room and certain modules could also have a specific requirements so even lower level players could have their own small mansion somewhere with couple storage rooms a a garden.

Money cost to start a mansion will still be STEEP but even a 1 level player can make money if he just puts his mind on it and saves. I recently actually tried this with a totally new character and without any magical powers or abuse knowledge and could easily put together a lot of money fast and even my level 1 guy could get mansion with several weeks of work which is not totally unreasonable for something like this, especially as it gets easier at higher levels.
douhnin
Supporting Member 2011

Post by douhnin »

Exactly what I had in mind with my comment(s).

If you're willing to put in the work, you should be able to buy a little something. Scaling it up to offer higher-end, more dedicated players something to reflect that would make sense.

Things like number of kills, quests completed, levels, or total experience could be factors on the "ladder of success"" also, and can reflect on how much actual game play a character has been doing.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I think that there should be something set up so that you can put down money towards your mansion, say 1m - 5m at a time, so that you don't have to focus totally on it and can put money into it as you have it.