Move Silently changes

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

Move Silently changes

Post by khade »

I've noticed that move silently has an ungodly ep drain on the person using it and it lowers by half your defensive capacity. I've heard that this doesn't change even at 100% skill.

What I propose is this: at 50% skill the drain and the lessening of your defensive capacity is halved, and somewhere in between 75% skill and 100% skill the drain and lowering of defensive skill goes away completely, as moving silently would be pretty much second nature at that point. An alternate way could be that the negatives could be lowered by 1/4 each time you reach 25%. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I do think this needs to be dealt with.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

It would definitely rule to make it possible to stop moving silently while one is in combat (if I recall, it didn't allow it during combat). And toggling between sneak and normal movement mode should be instantaneous, no one second delay or anything, imho. :)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I remember there being a setting you could use that would make you stop sneaking when you used walk commands. Haven't seen that one when I looked for it.

I vaguely remember that having something to do with stopping sneak when you fought too, but my memory is bad.
osma

Post by osma »

a) sneak used to have a setting that automaticly removed sneak (turned it off) after you made a kill. as far as i know, this has been removed, or it is burried somewhere in the set helpfiles.

b) sneak does not turn off during battle. it last until you turn it off. and i agree, it might take a second to get yourself into the mindset of sneaking around, but turning off sneak should be instantanious. (note, since sneak does not turn off during battle, you are entering battle with half your defensive abilities. this is useful if you are running into groups of aggro mobs, but very bad if you forget about it and leave it on for big mobs)

c) When you walk around a road, sneak turns off automaticly. This keeps people from using all their ep just traveling the roads with sneak accidently on. (used to happen all the time). if you use the walk command while outdoors (say on plains or forest) it will not turn off. The only current way to turn off sneak automaticly is to walk along a road/path.
osma

Post by osma »

Ep loss during sneak is signifigant. For char who play diffrent guilds, such as shadowdancers, i dont know how it effects their combat and won't go into that aspect.

However, for sneak/archers, this is not nearly as bad as it used to be. Archers have always had high ep rates. This used to be because a) move silently caused you to need high ep, and b) archery used high ep. So sneak archers needed mid/high hp (so they could survive while running away), low sp, and high ep.

Now that archery has reduced the need for ep so drasticly, this is not as much of a case. you still need some hp, although not a lot, in order to survive running away, you still dont need much sp, and now you only need ep for move silently, since you almost never run out from simply shooting things. If move silently had all of it's ep costs reduced to 0 at high % (which everyone who sneaks should have it at high % anyhow), then sneak archers will have basicly no need for ep. Archery wont take much, sneak wont take much, and ranger regen rates for ep are fairly good anyhow (add in worshiping fire and epregen blessings, and you will still be at 90% ep while everyone else in party is healing from 0). Completly removing the ep cost, or even signifigantly reducing it, would make sneak/archers basicly have no need for hp, sp, or ep, and they would be unstoppable engines of distruction until their hp ran out from a lucky crit.

vote: reduction of ep for move silently should be only at high % rates, and should not be completly removed.

Vote: complete removal of defensive penality would be nice. You might be caught by suprise if you get attacked while sneaking around, but you wouldnt be fighting for you life, and trying to be quiet about it, so after the first 5 seconds, having a def penality is silly.